File Just One Fret End To Remove Buzz?

Omega

I have a 7 string Ibanez, freshly re-fretted.

I like fairly low action…so when I fret a note, my lowest string (.60 gauge, tuned way down to A) is buzzing at two points: against the next fret and at the 24th fret. I believe the buzzing is natural mainly due to the low tuning and low action. Also, my neck relief is perfect and my frets and 100% level (and my neck angle is good), as an FYI.

My idea is to eliminate the buzzing at the 24th. fret; here's how: file down the 24th. fret slightly (and possibly 22nd. and 23rd.) and re-crown. Naturally, I would only file down the fret end where it crosses the 7th. string. This makes logical sense to me because I NEVER play the 7th. string that high at the fretboard.

This won't eliminate both buzzing points, but I'd be very happy to eliminate at least one.

Does this make sense? Am I not foreseeing a problem? I just want to get some opinions before I basically irreversibly modify the fret.

Thanks!

If I read you correctly , your going to shave a little off the lower frets , which will make the action a little higher in that area.I would just raise the action a little and leave the frets alone.Either way the action will be altered.Your talking very little movement.Hope someone else has more info for you, as this is just a thought.

If I read you correctly , your going to shave a little off the lower frets , which will make the action a little higher in that area.I would just raise the action a little and leave the frets alone.Either way the action will be altered.Your talking very little movement.Hope someone else has more info for you, as this is just a thought.

Correct. I would essentially raise the action of the 22-24 frets on the 7th. string only.

Thanks for the reply.