Emg Tw Pickups

Stocky

Im looking at buying some EMG 81/60 pickups for my guitar, but looking on an american website, i found a EMG-81 TW pickup. Looks like some kind of update that improves the tone, and allows it to switch to a single coil.

http://www.musicgadgets.net/2007/12/18/emg...-active-pickup/

Has anyone used these before and know what theyre like? not sure if i should get one of these, or just stick to a normal emg-81

Neat, if true. Don't see anything on EMG's official site. Sounds like it's the 89 but with the dual coil component voiced to sound more like the 81 than the current 85-sounding one.

Supposedly announced at Winter Namm, but if it's unavailable as of yet, I don't really see much point in waiting around. If there was a date set, sure... versatility is not a bad thing IMO. But if you were already going to be happy with the 81, there's no reason to be "less" happy that it doesn't have the single-coil mode, especially if you're not much for single-coil sounds in the first place.

If you see a confirmed release date somewhere, you'd have a better idea of whether it's worth waiting or not. Try contacting EMG directly. They've been pretty good communicators whenever I've needed information from them.

Neat, if true. Don't see anything on EMG's official site. Sounds like it's the 89 but with the dual coil component voiced to sound more like the 81 than the current 85-sounding one.

Supposedly announced at Winter Namm, but if it's unavailable as of yet, I don't really see much point in waiting around. If there was a date set, sure... versatility is not a bad thing IMO. But if you were already going to be happy with the 81, there's no reason to be "less" happy that it doesn't have the single-coil mode, especially if you're not much for single-coil sounds in the first place.

If you see a confirmed release date somewhere, you'd have a better idea of whether it's worth waiting or not. Try contacting EMG directly. They've been pretty good communicators whenever I've needed information from them.

theyre already out. $120 US as opposed to a $100 US EMG-81. im considering it, just for the versatility

Availability: Special Order

Wouldn't be surprised if that was "pre-order" in Guitar Centre speak, or if it takes a long time for it to arrive.

Not trying to be intentionally negative, I'm just sayin'.... caveat emptor.