Help Please

well, if you go by the original companies producing the instruments, there is a difference in the scale and pickups and whatnot, but there are so many companies producing the different shapes that you can probably find them in any scale length or pickup configuration and whatnot. If you really want to know the differences besides shape just go look up the specifications for the different ones you're interested in, you should be able to find them easily on the site's of the various companies.

Like I said, Google is your friend. All of this information is readily available on the internet. And shape is not the only difference. Scale length, pickup type/number/position, wood used, hardware, set neck/bolt-on/etc., headstock design, neck size...the list goes on.

CMA

i was being sarcastic. notice the winking smiley

good approach. ANy books or resources on the anatomy of a guitar, or the history of the guitar are great reads to get more familiar with them. When i built my first guitar, i had never even heard the term scale length, and never noticed that some necks were angled back due to the carving on the top. My approach was to learn through building, but in the process, i read a great book, which i cant remember the name of, that was all about the anatomy of the guitar. Melvyn hiscock's book has the first few chapters dedicated to all this stuff if i remember correctly. Have fun and keep us posted!

Like I said, Google is your friend. All of this information is readily available on the internet. And shape is not the only difference. Scale length, pickup type/number/position, wood used, hardware, set neck/bolt-on/etc., headstock design, neck size...the list goes on.

CMA

i was being sarcastic. notice the winking smiley

That was directed at smokecheck, not you killemall.

:D

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

If you play now, then you probably already have a favorite scale length. Start there. The rest is open territory. Maybe stop by your local music store and look at a bunch of guitars to analyze how they are constructed. Pick out what you like or don't like, then incorporate that in your design.

Take note of things like the bridge being used, if the neck is angled with respects the bridge, pickup location, type of nut, maybe even control location. Just little things, but they'll help you get an idea of what goes into building one. Many of us take things for granted and don't view the things around us from a "I want to make one" perspective. So going on a mission to figure out how something is made can be tedious at first, then it all makes sense after a while.

Drawing a full scale plan will really pull it all together. Even if you don't build the guitar from the plan, it will help you to visualize how to build one.

A key element is the neck. It has to be right. Even of the body has flaws or aspects you deem "not perfect", if the neck is done right it should be playable. Besides, if you make "a mistake" it'll give you an excuse to make another... Thing is, we learn from the experience.

Have fun!

-Doug