Jump to content

Amp Builders I Need Some Help!


Recommended Posts

i ordered one today and i just realized its going to have a 220/240v PT. I don't have it yet but when I get it can I just substitute the 220v/240v with a 120v PT with out a ton of trouble? Do they usually have the same specs short of the input voltage? i assume the fuse values will be different. I haven't received the schematics yet so i cant say whether or not the PT has 120V taps.

i have some electronics experience, but not a ton, I've built a few pedals, etched some pcbs, and can read Schematics. This will be my first amp kit build any tips for stuff i should read up on, especially safety.

heres the site Madamp its on the right side.

thanks for the help,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes you can substitute the power transformer with a 120v version, just as long as they both have the same power rating and output voltages. A lot of transformers do have both 220v and 120v inputs but you would have to check.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I think you'll get a much lower secondary voltage, since the primary is receiving about half as much voltage as it was designed for. This will drastically change your power amp and I doubt you'll be able to get the full power out of your tubes.

If you can, return the PT for a refund and buy the right one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...