Painting Chess Board Hmm.)

taz

Hi. Guys.

Nice forum this is my first post although i been here a while.

The question is: How to paint a chess board black and white on the front of the guitar?

Has anyone done this? Any ideas how.

I was thinking of templates but how to make one so even. Can i buy it anywhere?

Hmmm... that's a tough one. I might see if you could print out the pattern and CAREFULLY cut out the pattern with an exacto knife and attach it to the guitar to spray. The issue you'd run into would be in getting the corners to meet up, because as you know you have to leave SOME material in between the corners, or the pattern would fall apart. It might be easier if you had a border around the squares so that you wouldn't have to worry about the corners touching. But yeah, I see this as being a very hard effect to pull off yourself.

Alternatively, you could get a thin thin checkerboard fabric and attach it to the top of the guitar, and clear over it. One of the members attached a Japanese floral pattern to an RG, if I remember correctly. Do some searching around, and let us know if you turn up anything.

::EDIT::

Why not something like this? :D

Let's see, HMMM!!! I would lay down tape at the appropriate width in stripes with alternating openings. Then do the same perpendicular. shoot a clear coat to seal the edges to prevent bleed through and then shoot white. Repeat the same process perpendicular to the first and offset one square and then shoot black.

Just my thought on this

MK

Edited by MiKro

Let's see, HMMM!!! I would lay down tape at the appropriate width in stripes with alternating openings. Then do the same perpendicular. shoot a clear coat to seal the edges to prevent bleed through and then shoot white. Repeat the same process perpendicular to the first and offset one square and then shoot black. Do this twice and you will have a checkerboard remembering to offset the second set by one square both ways

Just my thought on this

MK

actually That's to complicated. just paint the dang thing white, then do part one of the first post but in black. LOL:)

mk

Edited by MiKro

Hmmm... that's a tough one. I might see if you could print out the pattern and CAREFULLY cut out the pattern with an exacto knife and attach it to the guitar to spray. The issue you'd run into would be in getting the corners to meet up, because as you know you have to leave SOME material in between the corners, or the pattern would fall apart. It might be easier if you had a border around the squares so that you wouldn't have to worry about the corners touching. But yeah, I see this as being a very hard effect to pull off yourself.

Alternatively, you could get a thin thin checkerboard fabric and attach it to the top of the guitar, and clear over it. One of the members attached a Japanese floral pattern to an RG, if I remember correctly. Do some searching around, and let us know if you turn up anything.

::EDIT::

Why not something like this? :D

heh nice idea with the fabric didnt think of it.) i think thats how its going to be?

Any ideas where could i get that pattern hmm It's a bit more complicated then i thought.(

Thx mikro we had a same idea. Heh white doesn't look so bad right now :D

Shoot your white (or black) basecoat.

Then mask the entire top and use a straight edge to draw out your checkerboard.

Then cut out every-other square with a razor and shoot your second color.

Seems kinda obvious after you came up with it.. Now that makes sense!

-John

Once again, though, I'd be careful about the corners of the squares, that they don't lift up when spraying and you'll get a fuzzy border.

A good tip whenever masking and cutting graphics directly on the guitar is to shoot a coat of clear to help protect from cutting through the finish with your razor.

Also ... "Sticky Mickeys" masking film works great for this type of stuff.

It's often used in the automotive industry.

Good luck. :D

Edited by DGW