Where Can I Buy Naptha In The Uk?

I'm about to embark on my first finish job - a Warmoth telecaster body in Alder.

Dan Erlewine (and others) suggest I should clean the body with Naptha before sealing it.

As I understand it, lighter fluids contain naptha, I'm a little concerned that they might also contain other compoundsthat could effect the subsequent vinyl sealer and or nitro finish.

Can anyone confirm that something like Zippo lighter fluid is ok to use. Alternatively, does anyone know if and where it's possible to get pure Naptha in the UK?

TIA,

MikeB

I use lighter fluid quite often for cleaning stuff and have never had any compatability problems. For cleaning bodies before painting i use normal panel wipe and again i've not had any issues.

Thanks.

I'd never heard of panel wipe before. In fact, I've never spayed a damned thing before this! I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before starting.

I've found a local automotive factor who does panel wipe. They have it in 1 and 5 Litre containers but they don't know whether or not it's naptha based.

I guess that it should be ok anyway because the automotive guys use it for de-greasing and I suspect that they can't tolerate leftover contaminents any more than I can.

/MikeB

Usually hardware stores carry naptha or paint stores. It is sometimes sold as VM&P Naptha, but it is the same thing. VM&P stands for Varnish Makers and Painters.

Thanks, although I just got back from the motor factor. I bought some of their Panel Wipe.

When I called them yesterday and asked the guy if their panel wipe was Naptha, he said that he didn't know.

I asked him to read the container to see if it said anything about Naptha. They went away for a minute or so, then came back and said "No, there's nothing written on it".

I decided to get some anyway, so drove over there and picked one up. In reasonably large print on the front, were the words:

"Low boiling point, hydrogen treated naptha"

:D

/MikeB

Edited by ThreeSprings

'Naphta' is one of those amorphous, vague terms. In the US, it means lighter fluid. I'm fairly certain it's the same thing as coleman fuel, or white spirit, which any UK/European hardware store will stock, while folks will look at you strangely if you ask for 'naphta'. White spirits are commonly used degreasers for paint.

'Naphta' is one of those amorphous, vague terms. In the US, it means lighter fluid. I'm fairly certain it's the same thing as coleman fuel, or white spirit

Hmmm. I'm not so sure that naptha is the same as white spirit. In Dan Erlewine's book on finishing, he discusses cleaning the wood before sealing it. IIRC, he suggests using naptha followed by mineral spirit. It's my understanding that in the UK, mineral spirit is known as 'White Spirit'

So, if he's saying use naptha then white spirit, I suspect that Naptha and white spirit are different things.

Then again, I've been wrong before :D

/MikeB

naptha (the lighter fluid kind) is definately better for cleaning and flashes off faster than the white spirit we have over here - so they are different things here but not sure how different ... white spirit is another of those names that could mean lots of different things

white spirit is another name fore mineral spirits. Mineral spirits are a petroleum distilate like naptha, but naptha has a lower boiling point and therefore a lower flash point and evaporation point. Naptha is less oilly than mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is kerosene that has been chemically treated to remove certain chemicals to reduce the unpleasant smell.