"wet Look" Oil Finish

DGW

That looks great - I really like it!! Very "clean"!!

Notice you've changed necks, yeah? Didn't you start with a "hockey stick" headstock?

I prefer the trem to be recessed, just a preference, not a criticism! :D

DJ

+1

Absolutely beautiful. Love that wood. I didn't know Padauk could look like that.

Simple, no frills, rock machine.

Sometimes, we tend to overcomplicate things with binding and special finishes, tops... whatever.

Did you make that neck?

Edited by guitar2005

That really looks good! Did you put a shim under the neck to give you a slight neck angle? What is your string height at the body where the fretboard ends?

Jeff

Thanks guys.

The neck is a Mighty Mite...

* 22 medium jumbo frets

* "C" Shape Profile

* 9.5 radius to 12 compound radius

* 1-5/8" at the nut (R2)

I shimmed the neck, and the string height is about 2mm from fret to string at the last fret.

I'm going to let all the adjustments "settle" for a day or so, then go back and tweak it.

The reason I asked about the string height is because I am currently painting a strat style body that is routed for one humbucker and a non recessed Floyd Rose. I like low action but I don't like the strings too high off of the body.

I'm not sure If I will like playing the guitar with the Floyd Rose non recessed as much since it was previously on a body that had the recessed route. I enjoyed playing it that way for a couple of years but I will have to give the non recessed a try before I mod it also.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Since I haven't found any answers by searching: Could I produce a polished finish like the Lap Steel by using a varithane finish? I have plenty of sanding supplies, and a $20 budget right now. I have some varithane staining oil, but don't want to use a clear coat on it for lack of proper tools.