Router Bit Lubrication

Geo

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait for a few more, as there are several very different suggestions. For some reason I am just wondering how long my bit will last, as I use it for a lot of things (all templates, pickup cavities, neck tenon, neck pocket, body outline after rough jigsawing, etc.) I'm probably just paranoid. :D

Thanks again. More replies appreciated.

Edited by Geo

Just keep it CLEAN, that's the most important thing. As someone already mentioned, the bearing's sealed, in principle. Do that, and it's more likely to get dell before the bearing gives you any problems. Lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, WD 40, all works (just make sure you get stuff that doesn't have silicone in it!)

Just keep it CLEAN, that's the most important thing. As someone already mentioned, the bearing's sealed, in principle. Do that, and it's more likely to get dell before the bearing gives you any problems. Lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, WD 40, all works (just make sure you get stuff that doesn't have silicone in it!)

+1 Mattia

WD40 is great for cleaning bits after use for storage. Wipe the bits and bearings down with a cloth dampened with WD40 as opposed to spraying it directly onto the bit however as excess can just cause dust to collect back where you don't want it to!

• 4 weeks later...
Would you need to? I thought the race was sealed. Most lubricants would probably attract dust and make bearings more likely to seize.

That guy above is 100% correct,also the lubricant will probably sink to the wood and if you apply a water dye that is a total menace...

Except those above,ball bearings are sealed and they have lubricant closed under the seal,im a carpenter and i have several router bits with ball bearings and i have them for many years and they dont seem to have a problem.

After 10 years if you change one its not a big deal after all...

I am not sure I believe all the hype people place on these bearings being fully sealed. If there is any chance that the bearing is not sealed mineral spirits will remove lubrication and not help prolong the life of the bearing, I mean don't dip it in any degreaser.

If anyone has ever done any lamination work then you know how bad bearings can get. I would say WD-40 is a good choice but wipe down the bit or use a cloth to apply as recommemded. Many companies make a specialty lubes which bonds to the surface, which may be just hype. I cant see how WD-40 is going to ruin a piece unless you don't wipe it off or use it right before cutting.

Remember when you first received the bit it was lubed heavily in oil and most people seem to have over come the dust issues, seems like a moot point in my opinion. If you feel any roughness in the bearing then its has to be replaced. The better the bit the better the bearing will be, cheap bit lube heavily.

Rockler router bit lube Link