Building My First 7 String

So I absolutley have to use a floyd...? The neck i was planning on getting was a floating trem... what causes the floyd or kahler trems to be able to work with non-angled necks and not start style trems....

Ok. Neck angle crash course.

No neck angle neccessary:

Recessed Floyd

Strat style tremolo and fixed bridge

Hipshot hardtail bridge

Neck angle necessary:

Non-recessed Floyd

Kahlers

Tune-o-Matic's

Whatever type of tailpiece

The bridge height decide wheter or not you need a neck angle. Low profile bridges don't need it because they are almost flsuh in height with the fretboard. So you got a nice parallel line from the saddles to the nut.

High bridges needs a neck angle because they are so high over the fretboard, that you'll end up with the strings being too high over the fretboard. That would be impossible to play. To compensate for that, you give the neck a slight downward angle, to maintain a parallel line from saddles to nut.

In your case, you need a bridge that doesn't need a neck angle. It would be damn too complicated for you to build a guitar with a neck angle using a pre-fab Carvin neck.

Check this link and look at the diagram. You'll understand.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14036

Edited by MescaBug

You really should take the advice here and modify your project accordingly. You are on our turf now, so to speak. You don't know how to do this kind of thing and we do. It would be pretty foolish (no offense) to keep plowing ahead after several experienced guitar-builders have warned you.

It wouldn't matter at all whether you make huge mistakes on your first project (and you will), except that you plan to use a Carvin neck. I seem to remember those being very expensive. We don't want you to ruin that neck, which is a great investment! If you're patient, the rewards will be huge for you. It's for your own good man! :D