Non-locking Trem Opinions Wanted

I'm looking for specific combo's of locking tuner, tremelo combinations along with nut material for non locking Floyd trems ie. Wilkenson, Gotoh, traditional strat, ect. my next build will utilize a set up like this and while I'm familiar with their limitations, pros/cons compared to Floyd type systems. I'm really looking for how well certain types stay in tune ect. thanks.

Nut: as slippery as possible!

Tuners: as locking as possible (I like Sperzel)

Trem: wilkinson trems are nice. Not as stiff as I'd like though. Maybe more springs would have helped...

-------

The wilkinson is honestly the only non-locking trem I've used extensively. It's on my Carvin with locking tuners. It really didn't have that many issues coming out of tune, though it binds up at the nut every once in a while, which is why I said to get the slipperiest nut possible. I also like to palm mute a lot (metal. duh.), and again maybe i needed more springs, but if I really laid into the playing, it would pull on me.

I would never build a trem guitar without it being a double-locking system, no way. It's a whole bunch of extra hassle, but it feels so much better under my hands. And the palm mute problem is pretty much gone with a Kahler bridge, since the saddles are separate from the cam system. And with the hybrids you can lock it into a hardtail bridge as well.

If you're talking this trem, I used it on my last build. I'm certainly not a super trem person, but I can do enough of a dive bomb for me, and abuse it pretty bad without too many tuning problems. Bone nut, zero fret, and Planet Waves locking/auto-trim tuners. I've never had a trem of this style (always Bigsbys and Jag trems) and it's really started to grow on me. Once the strings are stretched out, it holds tune rather well.

i am just about to finish a guitar with a kahler so looking foward to trying that out, i also want to have a gander at one of them trem king trems at some point soon.

I have used the wilko before and its a decent bit of kit

Nice guit-box Setch, but geez man, trim those strings! :D

Busted! I was still experimenting with the setup when I took those pics - so the strings were on with too many winds on the post, and not snipped so I can take them on and off easily. They did get trimmed before the owner got the guitar - I have photographic evidence!!

70_john_with_guitar.jpg

Tuners:

I think that any standard locking tuners should work just fine, just use your favorite brand. I've got Fenders, Grover Minis, Sperzels and they're all good. My personal favorite are the Grovers though.

In the "non-standard" category, I have to say that I'm VERY impressed with the gearless Steinberger tuners. They will give straight string pull, meaning that the string does not wrap around a post like conventional tuners. Definitely an advatage over conventional tuners. The tuning precision is un surpassed. They're expensive though.

Nut:

The standard graphtec nut is good. I've had good luck with a regular bone nut and cutter lubricant (wax type of lubricant). Dive bombs work ok with the Grover locking tuners.

Personal fave is the LSR roller nut, but you'll have a real hard time finding them because I don't think they make 'em anymore.

Trem:

My favorite non-floyd trem is the Wilkinson. It is easily adjustable, looks nice, is well made and is stable. It will work better with Fender Bullet strings in terms of tuning stability.

Another option is the Fender Floyd which I really like. Intonating the thing is a bitch though, but really, you'll only do that once.

http://www.fender.com.au/spa/parts-floydrose.php Check the trem at the bottom on the page, that's what I'm referring to.

thanks 2005....I have no exp with locking tuners and didn't know if any were obviously better than others. I'll be starting my second build as my first one is currently hanging curing the nitro finish. I'll be using the non-locking trem on #2, another first for me, should go relatively quick as I'm using the last of my existing guitar necks then I'll fab my own from then on.

i've done some reading in various places and many people state that locking tuners have little to no effect on tuning stability; they just make stringing up easier.

any truth to this? i've been eyeing some lockers, but i don't find restringing that inconvienent.

thanks.

Locking tuners help but a good nut is more important that locking tuners though.

Once your nut is good, look at the tuners. The fact that the strings aren't wrapped around a tuner post is an adavantage for trem work because when you hit the trem, the string won't loosen around the tuner.

i've done some reading in various places and many people state that locking tuners have little to no effect on tuning stability; they just make stringing up easier.

any truth to this? i've been eyeing some lockers, but i don't find restringing that inconvienent.

thanks.

they do not lock the tuning in place the way some people who havnt used them expect. but they do help tuning stability because they let you get rid of the windings on the tuner post. windings can be a source of tuning instability because they are constantly loosening and tightening as you use the trem and may settle differently