Huge Black Locust Stash

It turns out I live in the midst of a huge stand of black locust trees. A couple fell over some 4 years ago, and i sectioned them some 2 or 3 years ago. Well I just went out and ripped a bunch of them into large rough blanks. I now have enough for about 20 neck blanks, and dozens of neck strips, if no one's interested in making a whole neck out of the stuff.

That brings me to my point. It's kind of a weird wood, and I've never seen anyone on this board using it, so if anyone wants any, I'd be happy to cut some to specified dimensions and send it their way. Like I said though, I just ripped them today, so they're still fairly green. Black locust is pretty cool though. It's extremely hard, and relatively straight grained, and sounds good when you thump it. So, if anyone wants any, give me a shout. However, I'm getting a new tablesaw, so I won't be able to cut any until next week.

P.S. I Also have a few flamed maple blanks from a tree I cut down a while ago. They're a bit dryer and look great, but they're also smaller. I have to take another look to see if they're even big enough for necks actually...

Edited by the telecaster kid

Black Locust is a cool wood. It should be more than durable enough for fretboards. It should also be extreamly strong and stiff as a neck wood or as very stiff neck laminates. Nice stable wood too. Nice stuff :D It would actually be cool to try as acoustic back and sides.

I have an awful lot of wood already, so I will restrain myself from asking for bits. I hope a few other guys take you up on your generous offer though (very cool of you to think of helping out fellow board members :D ).

Peace,Rich

Do you have any big enough (well quartersawn preferred) for an acoustic set? I wouldn't mind paying a bit if you could get me a nice quartersawn set :D

I bet I could. If the wood I have isn't big enough, which I doubt, I have a few larger tree trunks out in my yard that I could quarter-saw. Like I said earlier though, I'm waiting on the new table saw, so I probably wouldn't be able to get it cut for a few days. My major concern though is the dryness. The wood's all been sitting around my yard for years, but I have no way of telling you exactly how dry it is. Sorry about that. Other than that, I'd really just need specific dimensions if you have them.

Thanks for all the interest everyone. It's no problem on my part to get this stuff out of here. I'd like to see it put to some good use, rather than just heating my house. :D

do you have any pictures, i did a google and got some 'stock footage' it looks brown and like mahogany, is this the case;

all the other pics are of the actual tree; ha

It's kind of brownish in parts, but has a more yellowish color mostly, and the grain is not like mahogany at all. I can get some pictures up later tomorrow, but I can't find my camera at the moment. Sorry about that.

I've done a fingerboard with it ( on the barnwood guitar I ran in GOTM a couple months ago ) and it turned out real nice. I plan on using it quite a bit in the future, and would love to get some more. I have a hard time finding it down here, as it all tends to die out before it gets any reasonable size, and what there is tends to be full of shake.

Here's a pic of a few different woods I've been trying for fingerboards, The black locust is third from the left.

woods.jpg

To the left of it are fresh cut and aged osage orange, and to the right are persimmon, mesquite, and hickory.

I've done a fingerboard with it ( on the barnwood guitar I ran in GOTM a couple months ago ) and it turned out real nice. I plan on using it quite a bit in the future, and would love to get some more. I have a hard time finding it down here, as it all tends to die out before it gets any reasonable size, and what there is tends to be full of shake.

Here's a pic of a few different woods I've been trying for fingerboards, The black locust is third from the left.

woods.jpg

To the left of it are fresh cut and aged osage orange, and to the right are persimmon, mesquite, and hickory.

Ah yes, I knew I saw someone use black locust on this forum at some point, just couldn't remember who. That's good that it turned out well for the barnwood guitar. I'd be happy to load you up with some more if you'd like, we just need to talk about shipping.

I really like your work, particularly that new butternut bass, and like I said, I'd love to see it put to some good use.

*edit I'm located in Massachusetts.

Osage has the most incredible tap tone you will hear from any domestic wood, Black locust is a close second.

OK, I know that's a bold statement, as there are a huge amount of species I have not played with, but it really rings out wonderfully.

And yes, I am a confirmed cellulose addict. :D

Tele kid: Thanks! PM sent

Edited by orgmorg

I've never seen a piece myself or made a guitar out of it, but I've read from a few well known builders who have built guitars out of Brazilian rosewood that osage orange sounds better than any Brazilian rosewood guitar they've made.

A bold claim I know, but thats good enough for me to start searching feverishly for a nice set. :D

I want to make an electric upright body. Would that wood go with my spalted maple neck?

Make darn sure that spalted neck is stable, I'd recommend carbon fiber reinforcement. Not many people are gutsy enough to try a spalted neck.

I've got three neck blanks for spalted maple guitars. But they're from Larry over at Gallery, so I'm not worried.

substitute "spalted" with "rotten" (that is the same thing).

Now, I want to build a guitar neck with rotten maple. (doesn't sound very good).

Maybe, I want to build my neck with kinda rotten wood. (hmmm...)

How bout, I want to build my neck with maple that is discolored a bit from rotting around the solid neck blank. (OK, that works)

Peace,Rich

Mattia, Is the wood you have from Larry treated with his acrylising system? I have heard good things about that.

No, it's regular ink-lined spalt maple, but Larry's a master at picking out the right wood for the right project; tell him what you want/need it for, and he'll delivery what you need. The wood's fully stable, hard, not punky in any way. They're blanks to match the acoustic back/side sets he was selling during the OLF swap meet a while back, which are also rock-solid.

I've got some of his acrylic treated blanks for inlay purposes, should work an absolute treat!

No, it's regular ink-lined spalt maple, but Larry's a master at picking out the right wood for the right project; tell him what you want/need it for, and he'll delivery what you need. The wood's fully stable, hard, not punky in any way. They're blanks to match the acoustic back/side sets he was selling during the OLF swap meet a while back, which are also rock-solid.

I've got some of his acrylic treated blanks for inlay purposes, should work an absolute treat!

Larry knows his stuff for sure. I will have to pick up some acrylized bits from him next time he is in town for a wood show.

Peace,Rich

I want to make an electric upright body. Would that wood go with my spalted maple neck?

Make darn sure that spalted neck is stable, I'd recommend carbon fiber reinforcement. Not many people are gutsy enough to try a spalted neck.

I thinks its spalted...I dont know. Its a traditional neck from a luthier in Germany.IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

Edited by weaponepsilon