yellow pine body

MikeB

has anyone made a yellow pine body? i have researched this wood, its pretty exceptional, although its a softwood its harder than most hardwoods! i was wondering if anyone has made a yellow pine guitar body, as i intend to, i have a nice straight as a die slab of it in my room!

mike

hey,

thanks for the replies! i thought it might have not been stable enough, however i think im gonna try it anyway, since i have the wood. it has been acclimitising in my room for quite some time without any movement i must say!

thanks

mike

yea, normal pine, yellow pine is almost the top grade pine available, pitch pine is better, but this (in a woods manual) beats some of the hardwoods. i think its harder than walnut. i must have a poke about for that manual.

mike

Also, hardwood and softwood, in lumber jargon, refers to whether the tree is an evergreen or not. If it an evergreen, it is a softwood. If it drops its leaves, like balsa, it is a hardwood.

It has nothing to do with the actuall hardness of the wood itself.

Guitar Ed