Adding A Bigsby To An Ibanez As73

Hello everyone, this is my first post here :D . I'm part of another guitar forum and asked them the same question, but they didn't really give me any good answer, so I figured you guys would have a better answer to my question. Anyway, on to the question. I recently bought an Ibanez AS73 and I love it. It's the exact sound I want. However, I really would like a bigsby tremolo on it. Since I have little to no confidence in installing anything on my guitar yet, would a local guitar shop be able to install a bigsby? Also, I've seen the bigsby kits on Musician's Friend and such but have no idea which one would work best for my guitar. Thanks. :D

Hello everyone, this is my first post here :D . I'm part of another guitar forum and asked them the same question, but they didn't really give me any good answer, so I figured you guys would have a better answer to my question. Anyway, on to the question. I recently bought an Ibanez AS73 and I love it. It's the exact sound I want. However, I really would like a bigsby tremolo on it. Since I have little to no confidence in installing anything on my guitar yet, would a local guitar shop be able to install a bigsby? Also, I've seen the bigsby kits on Musician's Friend and such but have no idea which one would work best for my guitar. Thanks. :D

Yes, bring it to the shop, or to a luthier. They'll know which Bigsby to choose too. It's going to be expensive --about one-fourth the price of that guitar! (There are Artcores that come with the Bigsby stock, you should get one of those).

One issue you'll find though is that you'll end up having two holes on the guitar (where the tailpiece is). I don't think Bigsby makes a vibrato that directly covers them up. You'd figure they would, but there you go.

Also, while Bigsbys look great, they'll a real pain to string up (without locking tuners especially) and they're hard to keep in tune (locking tuners help).

And just in case you don't know this, you can't do any kind of dive-bombing with a Bigsby, they're meant just to add a bit of flutter.

• 2 weeks later...
I know what the bigsby does, I don't plan on doing any divebombs. The price is a little high though, so would it really be worth it?

If you're not stuck on the Bigsby brand, there are knockoffs available that cost a lot less. They one I had was exactly the same as the similar licensed Bigsby I had, except for the word 'Bigbsy' --it was probably made in the same factory in China.

Installing it is another matter--it's not that difficult to do though. But if you're not comfortable doing it, you can probably find someone to do it for you.

Is it worth it? Well, if you're willing to put up with the tuning headaches, then yeah, they look really cool and sound great too.