Resawing Into Wedges, Tapered Resawing

i was wondering is it a good idea to resaw wood for a carved top into wedge or with a slight taper, like the way volin tops are resawn... like having the table of a band saw set a few degrees tilted and resaw so when opened, bookmatched the center is thicker than the edges? thanks... i know this must be a silly question, so i apologize in advance for this... sorry, but thanks for all and any help... jonny

That would depend on how you are carving. If you are ruff shaping with a router, the taper could make shaping difficult (all depending on your setup). If you are using a hand plane for the job, it may give you a bit of a head start. If you are using a duplicarver or CNC, it probably will be a more efficient use of wood. All depends on how you are working the carve.

Peace,Rich

what if you got a board that is slightly thinner than 1" and you want to get a top that is about 5/8" in the center and 1/4" on the edges... if you resaw to equal sides than you couldn't quite get 5/8" on boths sides but if you cut in a taper you'd be almost there... but i'm asking this as a question not a statement... i'm new to this so i'm sure i'm probably wrong somehow... please educate me... thanks

You could do that, but it wouldn't bookmatch, and you'd have to make a super accurate smooth cut to get those size pieces out of that 1" board. And, if it cups at all after resawing ( it probably will ) you will lose thickness there. Then, after you join them you will have to plane the back flat, losing some more thickness. Even if you get all that done with minimal loss of thickness, you will find that your thickest point ( by now 1/2" ) is in the very middle, and where the carve starts to top out is actually more like 3/8" thick.

Yes, they do. Most violin wedges come from split wegdes of spruce, which are already wedge shaped (and are sold as a single wedge shaped billet) that you split or resaw down the middle, into two bookmatched wedges. It's not necessary with spruce, really, not in small pieces like that where you can quite easily get bits of wood with even grain along the width, but it is common.