Alternative Bridge For Body Cut For A Floyd?

Hello all.

ive never done any real work on a guitar before and am attempting my first put together after a budy of mine gave me a stunningly gorgeous warmoth australian lace wood strat style body for free. my only problem is that it is cut for a floyd rose. i do not want a floyd rose, nor to i have the money for one or the extra 45 dollars warmoth charges for necks with locking nuts. and most importantly, i dont want a floyd rose or locking tremelo of any kind :D .

So i am guessing there is really no way out of this predicament other than getting a floyd. However is there anyone out there who by chance might know of a non locking tremelo bridge that would fit in a body cut for a floyd. i know i am stretching here. but it doesnt hurt to ask. i would be such a happier person if such a thing existed and was attainable.

thanks a lot.

first, why dont you want the floyd? second, is the rout recessed? are the holes for the posts already drilled? if so, then no, there isnt one. some regular strat trems will fit in a non recessed floyd rout , but that wont work if the holes are already drilled. floyds are really great, i want to know why you dont want a locking trem. have you ever used one?

So you're saying you want a tremolo, but not a locking trem? Your call, man. I don't see the problem, as cheap as Floyds are, and as cheap as ebay necks are, to go that route. I mean, think of the money you would have spent if you didn't have such a generous (read: big mistake) friend.

But in answer to your question, no, there are no other trems that would fit in a Floyd post setup. The only one that comes close is a Wilkinson, and that's still off by 1/4"

first, why dont you want the floyd? second, is the rout recessed? are the holes for the posts already drilled? if so, then no, there isnt one. some regular strat trems will fit in a non recessed floyd rout , but that wont work if the holes are already drilled. floyds are really great, i want to know why you dont want a locking trem. have you ever used one?

well guess im out of luck, because yes it is recessed and the holes are drilled.

i dont have a lot of experience with them. but i hardly ever use a tremelo when i play and its not worth the set up pain (sometimes i like to change up my string gauges) and the restringing trouble to me, especially when i have to pay for it.

So you're saying you want a tremolo, but not a locking trem? Your call, man. I don't see the problem, as cheap as Floyds are, and as cheap as ebay necks are, to go that route. I mean, think of the money you would have spent if you didn't have such a generous (read: big mistake) friend.

But in answer to your question, no, there are no other trems that would fit in a Floyd post setup. The only one that comes close is a Wilkinson, and that's still off by 1/4"

i really dont feel comfortable buying a neck from ebay sight unseen. i think ill just wait until i have the cash to buy from warmoth.

i dont use a trem at all really. but maybe i can grow to like a floyd. ive never even owned a guitar that had a trem locking or otherwise.

but thanks guys.

i really dont feel comfortable buying a neck from ebay sight unseen. i think ill just wait until i have the cash to buy from warmoth.

i dont use a trem at all really. but maybe i can grow to like a floyd. ive never even owned a guitar that had a trem locking or otherwise.

but thanks guys.

Ok, I really don't want to rib you on this, but you're complaining about not wanting a floyd when you don't even have a trem-equipped guitar... :D

And Warmoth is not the be-all-end-all of guitar shops. I personally find them to be horribly overpriced. Your body breaks down like this: It has a strat-compatible neck pocket. You can get any 25.5" scale, 22 fret Strat-style neck and it'll be compatible. I'd direct you to these fine manufacturers:

carvin.com

soulmateguitars.com

doeringers.com

Custom necks, competitive prices.

But do what you want. Just don't expect guitar modding/assembling/building to be a cheap hobby.

Or I'd do what killemall said and sell that body. I know for a fact that, right out of the factory, that's a $500 body. I could buy a whole guitar worth of parts for that much, and have some left over :D

well i dont have a trem equipped guitar because i dont use then lol. and if i dont use them then why would i want to deal with a locking trem? but im not really complaining either. sorry if i came off that way. i mean ill definitely go with the floyd if there was no other viable option and be happy with it.

thanks for the advice on the other sites.

here is a pic of the body for you all. i am still excited about it even though i have to 'settle' with the floyd :D

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...327932_2206.jpg

I'd get the floyd, and then install a Tremol-No so you have the option to lock it to a fixed bridge if you need to.

I agree... or better yet, just block the trem completely. Floyds actually make pretty good fixed bridges if you're willing to put up with allen keys and cutting the ends off your strings. If you block the trem, you won't need a locking nut.

A floyd bridge is a real PITA for the average player to set the string radius correctly, not to mention what a PITA it is to set the intonation, if you don't have one of those special keys (which don't even work on every floyd copy).

You have to love the whammy experience to buy a floyd and feel ok about it. They're a compromise for sure.

The only popular player I can think of who had a floyd equipped guitar, but didn't use it for whammy work (that I know of), is Mark Knopfler, and he doesn't use a pick, so probably wanted the added brightness a big floyd bridge gives.

Anyone ever see what Paul Gilbert did to an Ibanez, where he had the floyd bridge recess inlayed with what I assumed was a piece of wood, painted almost the same color as the rest of the body, and then had a hard-tail bridge screwed onto the inlay ? Looked kooky as hell, but I guess such a method is pretty reversible.

thank you finally someone kinda understands where im coming from.

anyway i just came across this on the floyd rose website. have no idea if itll fit or even where to buy one. seems like it doesnt exist in the merchant world. anyone know anything about these things?

http://www.floydrose.com/fixedbridge.html

Unfortunately, that bridge probably won't fit your recess. Soapbar is right on about Floyds being a pain to setup, but at least they'll hold their setup for a good long time. To really get the action perfect, you'll probably have to shim the saddles.

Anyway, I'm a Floyd hater myself and would love to suggest something different, but I don't know of any options that will drop into that rout. You could fill the rout, but then you're pretty much stuck with a solid finish, and it would be a shame to cover up that expensive lacewood.

Your other option is to buy one of the licensed Floyds that will fit the same sized route. If you block the trem, you don't really have to worry about how well the knife edges hold up or any of the other issues that are associated with cheaper Floyds. You can go with a standard neck and regular nut.

Your other option is to buy one of the licensed Floyds that will fit the same sized route. If you block the trem, you don't really have to worry about how well the knife edges hold up or any of the other issues that are associated with cheaper Floyds. You can go with a standard neck and regular nut.

That's an excellent point. Grizzly is the cheapest place I've found for Floyds.

cant the speedloader be adjusted to a fixed? could i theoretically then get a floyd speedloader, adjust it to a fixed, keep it that way and not need to get the locking nut?

edit - xanthus, man those are some nicely priced licensed floyds. thanks for the site. i wonder what company those are.

Edited by Ateekay

I'm guessing they're Grizzly brand :D

And good luck finding a speedloader. Last I checked they were pretty hard to come by, or at least compared to the price of a regular Floyd knock-off. But I see what you're saying, the benefit of not having to cut your strings first is huge.

And good luck finding a speedloader. Last I checked they were pretty hard to come by, or at least compared to the price of a regular Floyd knock-off. But I see what you're saying, the benefit of not having to cut your strings first is huge.

confusion! those are pretty much the only ones in circulation on the internet right now. at least that ive seen. and 100 bucks is cheap for a floyd now?

look here:

cheaper speedloader floyd system

confusion! those are pretty much the only ones in circulation on the internet right now. at least that ive seen. and 100 bucks is cheap for a floyd now?

look here:

cheaper speedloader floyd system

very very nice. man i wanted black real bad. but a speedloader and you dont have to use speedloader strings. and for 60 bucks. that maybe to sweet to pass up.