Bleaching Wood?

Kenny

well, im trying to achieve this.

30thlg.jpg

that is a redwood top, and my problem is, on my practice runs, im getting lots of red undertones(from the wood)

has anyone had experiance bleaching wood (preferably peroxide bleach)

any other suggestions?

(PLEASE HELP!)

Kenny

EDIT: i used the search and came up with no real good info, *mostly bleach selection* im really curious to see what Drak has to say here, he seems to be soemwhat of an expert in the field of finishing

Edited by Kenny

cool, did you get any drying of the wood, or small cracking accour?

redwoods a fairly pourus softwood, so i'm concerned.

No i can't think of any problems. It wont go completely white but it will go a few shades lighter. Redwood might go a bit pink. Its worth buying some a testing it.

well i got some part a/b wood bleach yesterday at rockler. klean-strip i believe

ill post pics and give you guys results when the woods bleached :D

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same 2-part stuff I've used. It rocks! Don't bother with the single container stuff they sell at Woodcraft... it is worthless.

Different types of bleach work better for different stains. Here is a little bit of text copied from another web site (plenty of ino on bleaching out there on the web).

Bleaches are highly reactive chemicals that break down the color(s) in the wood. There are basically three types of chemicals most commonly used to bleach wood, Oxalic acid, Sodium hypochlorite and a two part A/B wood bleach. Oxalic acid is a good choice for removing stains in wood, but is very poisonous. Sodium hypochlorite usually works well on aniline dye, but once again is dangerous in inexperienced hands. The two part A/B wood bleach is what I use and the one I suggest you try. It is by far the most effective all around and easiest to use, however, (like any chemical) you must still take great care when using this or any other bleach or wood lightner.

Depending on what you are trying to do, remove old stains and dyes, remove discoloration from tannic acid, stains from molds, pigment in the wood, or what have you. Different chemicals would be more effective. Personally, I avoid bleaching because I like the natural look of wood. Some natural pigments may rise back over time(these bleaches are very superficial fixes) and counteract what you are doing over time. Stains that are close to the surace (mold staining, applied stains and dyes and such) these bleaches should do very well.

I don't really understand why you would want to bleach Redwood. It seems like the cost of bleaching would make it as expensive as buying a lighter colored Maple, Beech, Birch or what have you for your top.

Peace,Rich