Planning For A Custom Guitar

Hello all! I've been lurking around project guitar for a good while and I'm of the opinion this is the best place on the net for guitar building and customizing.

Anyway, I've been planning on doing a custom guitar, and I'll need a lot of help planning it out. I'm not sure I have the skills or tools required to make a custom body out of blank pieces of wood, so I was curious to wonder if there's any place where I can buy like a "blank" guitar body to work with.

I'm heavily inspired by Muse and Matt Bellamy, which gave me a few of the ideas for this guitar. I'd like to wire in a fuzz pedal and sustainer such as Bellamy has on his custom guitars. I'd like to include a Kaoss pad as well, but that's probably way too complicated for me to do. Right now I don't have the funds for this project yet, but help planning it out and locating the supplies would be invaluable.

Hello all! I've been lurking around project guitar for a good while and I'm of the opinion this is the best place on the net for guitar building and customizing.

Anyway, I've been planning on doing a custom guitar, and I'll need a lot of help planning it out. I'm not sure I have the skills or tools required to make a custom body out of blank pieces of wood, so I was curious to wonder if there's any place where I can buy like a "blank" guitar body to work with.

I'm heavily inspired by Muse and Matt Bellamy, which gave me a few of the ideas for this guitar. I'd like to wire in a fuzz pedal and sustainer such as Bellamy has on his custom guitars. I'd like to include a Kaoss pad as well, but that's probably way too complicated for me to do. Right now I don't have the funds for this project yet, but help planning it out and locating the supplies would be invaluable.

If you want to wire in effects, I'd recommend taking a look at ModBoards (click the link). There's a thread in the electronics section about a sustainer.

Warmoth sell guitar bodies for you to put electronics and stuff into. Have a look there (google for warmoth). Top quality stuff.

If you want to wire in effects, I'd recommend taking a look at ModBoards (click the link). There's a thread in the electronics section about a sustainer.

Warmoth sell guitar bodies for you to put electronics and stuff into. Have a look there (google for warmoth). Top quality stuff.

Wow, thanks for the links. I'm pretty sure I have the body and neck I want picked out on Warmoth. And surprisingly, the Kaoss pad looks like (aside from routing) the easiest thing to do.

Also, where's a good place to buy pickups from? I'm looking for P90s.

Edited by BearCavalry

check out stewmac.com

Dependent on your budget, pickups can be had from many places. If you're looking on a budget, www.guitarfetish.com has a fair few, or there's always Seymour Duncan. I'd look at places like Harmony-Central.com (they have a user review section for pickups with a load of models tested and stuff).

As for the Kaoss pad - how are you planning on doing it? All the mods I've seen have transplanted the pad in, but the surrounding electronics remain in the box, with a serial cable running from pad to box.

Edited by Supernova9

Dependent on your budget, pickups can be had from many places. If you're looking on a budget, www.guitarfetish.com has a fair few, or there's always Seymour Duncan. I'd look at places like Harmony-Central.com (they have a user review section for pickups with a load of models tested and stuff).

As for the Kaoss pad - how are you planning on doing it? All the mods I've seen have transplanted the pad in, but the surrounding electronics remain in the box, with a serial cable running from pad to box.

That's what I'm going to do, drop the touch pad in the guitar with the rest in the box. I have to check to make sure, but I'm looking at a Firebird body which I think should have enough room.

Here's a list I have so far of what I need:

1. Warmoth Firebird Body – 200$

2. Warmoth Birdsyes Maple/Rosewood Fretboard Neck – 193$

3. Korg Kaoss Pad 2 - ~150$ ebay

4. Neck Pickup Seymour Duncan SP90-2 – 76$

5. Bridge Pickup Kent Armstrong Motherbucker – 100$

6. Gotoh SG28 Tuners – 25$

7. Gotoh Tune-o-Matic Bridge and tailpiece – 30$

8. 3 way selector switch – 10$

9. Pots and stuff - ~20$

Have you thought about building your own body? A mahogany bass body blank at Warmoth is only $94. A Firebird shape isn't all that difficult. In addition, a neck pocket template is $22 from stewmac. With the money saved, you could buy a nice pair of locking tuners (a godsend!) and still have money left over.

Also, add to your list: money for finishing/paint/sandpaper

Have you thought about building your own body? A mahogany bass body blank at Warmoth is only $94. A Firebird shape isn't all that difficult. In addition, a neck pocket template is $22 from stewmac. With the money saved, you could buy a nice pair of locking tuners (a godsend!) and still have money left over.

Also, add to your list: money for finishing/paint/sandpaper

I don't have the required tools or skills to shape my own body.

• 3 months later...