Diagnosing Fret Buzz

Hi guys.

I'm pretty new to the whole guitar building thing. I recently assemebled a guitar and I'm have an issue I can't seem to resolve. I have this buzzing tone almost like the strings are hitting up against a fret. This noise is ONLY on the 4,5,6 and 7th fret. Past those frets it goes away. I have tweaked the truss rod (gently) to give some relief, but it's still there. The only time it goes away is when I shim the front of the neck pocket (towards the headstock). But that makes the action unbearably high. I would really love to figure this out and fix it on my own without a tech. I'm hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction...

Your frets are not level. You can probably search this forum for info, or read about it in a guitar building book. But basically, you need a perfectly flat abrasive surface (say sandpaper attached to a long flat block). Use this to level the frets and then use a fret file...

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts....n%2D1+Fret+FILE

.... to re-crown the frets. That's the nutshell version... you should find a more detailed source and read about it.

Your frets are not level. You can probably search this forum for info, or read about it in a guitar building book. But basically, you need a perfectly flat abrasive surface (say sandpaper attached to a long flat block). Use this to level the frets and then use a fret file...

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts....n%2D1+Fret+FILE

.... to re-crown the frets. That's the nutshell version... you should find a more detailed source and read about it.

I solved it about an hour ago! LOL! :D

So I've been struggling with these 4 frets for 2 weeks now. I read up on fret leveling. Did it using sandpaper (400 grit). It took a couple times. Then today my crowning file came in from Stew Mac and I did a pretty damn good job if I say so myself and that didn't clear it up... I was getting really frustrated.

Finally, I decided let me release the truss rod as far as I can go (dual action truss rod) so it went all the way and still no relief. Then remembered my conversation with Musikraft about the neck and they explained how that truss rod worked a little bit. I decided let me turn it counter-clockwise some more even though it was tight. I didn't force it, just turned it a bit more. Put the neck back on and it played clean... The action was preposterously high but it played clean. I figured what the heck, let's slowly and gently tighten the truss rod the other way and get the action to come down. Over the course of an hour or so, I tightend the truss rod until the action was where I wanted it. Low and behold the buzz was gone. I guess the neck went a bit cock-eyed or something and twisting the truss rod the other way corrected the issue because now the action is quite low and it plays clean as a whistle!

I'm so glad I stuck to it and didn't resort to a tech. I learned some cool stuff... Fret leveling, truss rod adjustments. Awesome! Can't wait to make another guitar... :D

One thing I try to do that seems to help me keep things from getting too mysterious (hope that is a good word to use). Is be methodical.

1. Check the string nut clearance, and make sure the strings are seated properly

2. Check for worn, raised(not seating well) frets

3. Check the neck for straightness (A wisper of relief is fine, but I try to keep it pretty close)

4. Check the frets for level, and make sure not high spots are developing near the body/neck area

5. Set the action, and give it a test drive

If it is a new neck to me, and I have issues after the basics. I will look closer at the neck angle, but this is not something I have to play with very often. If it is an acoustic, the bridge is looked at between step 4 and 5 (which may lead me to looking closer at the neck angle, more of an older acoustic thing than with solid bods).

If you start in the middle (making adjustments to truss, shimming the neck) you really can't tell where you are at.

Peace,Rich

One thing I try to do that seems to help me keep things from getting too mysterious (hope that is a good word to use). Is be methodical.

1. Check the string nut clearance, and make sure the strings are seated properly

2. Check for worn, raised(not seating well) frets

3. Check the neck for straightness (A wisper of relief is fine, but I try to keep it pretty close)

4. Check the frets for level, and make sure not high spots are developing near the body/neck area

5. Set the action, and give it a test drive

If it is a new neck to me, and I have issues after the basics. I will look closer at the neck angle, but this is not something I have to play with very often. If it is an acoustic, the bridge is looked at between step 4 and 5 (which may lead me to looking closer at the neck angle, more of an older acoustic thing than with solid bods).

If you start in the middle (making adjustments to truss, shimming the neck) you really can't tell where you are at.

Peace,Rich

This can be a total no-brainer but it's easy to overlook.

Make sure you are using new strings too.

There is nothing more frustraiting than spending hours adjusting the buzz out of a neck only to find out that the strings themself are bent or warped.

Good luck with it.