Anyone Any Opnions On These?

Hey,

not sure if this is in the right forum, has any one ever dealt with these guys on ebay? Im looking at buying a neck from them. Anyone know what the necks are like? They look pretty nice from the photos.,

http://stores.ebay.ie/Taisamlu-Musical

Thanks.

Edited by 68 lost souls

I bought a fretboard from the other Taiwanese hyper-inlay ebay seller, so I can't speak about the quality of this guy's stuff. Although I'm pretty much assuming his stuff comes from the same Vietnamese sweatshop as the other guy's.

There's a reason why these necks are so cheap--think of the hours of work it would take to carry out inlays like that. The fretboard I received--which had sort of a plain inlay design compared to the more over-elaborate dragon things-- was all over the place. Very few of the inlays were actually properly fitted-- they were just slapped in to a fairly large route, then filled in with some kind of darkish material. The inlays themselves are extremely thin, but they look real enough. Half of the inlays were offcenter.

The fretting was horrible, I don't think there were two frets at the same level anywhere on the entire fretboard. To make matters worse, you can't refret these--he uses frets with a HUGE tang, much larger than the fretwire I've found. I didn't measure the frets themselves, but I'm assuming they're not accurate-- in a side by side with a fretboard of the same (supposed) scale, this fretboard wasn't even close.

Oh, and the wood was really cheap. Some kind of nasty looking, dried out and fragile rosewood imitation. Nowhere near as hard as real rosewood. And since it's coming from Vietnam (not Taiwan), the change in climate is way too much-- the thing warped pretty much right away.

Like I said, I didn't buy from this seller, the board I got came from the other guy. But I find it hard to believe there's a great difference. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky, and your neck will come from a day when the workers were actually fed.

Hey,

not sure if this is in the right forum, has any one ever dealt with these guys on ebay? Im looking at buying a neck from them. Anyone know what the necks are like? They look pretty nice from the photos.,

http://stores.ebay.ie/Taisamlu-Musical

Thanks.

Hi,

I have never dealt with any of these guys, but was checking their offerings and found this inlaid neck.

I believe it is more than just my personal opinion, but there's a lot more to a neck than a fancy inlay. It should be structurally sound, feel good, have a good fretjob, etc. I see an off-center truss rod there. That's a major issue in my book. Makes me doubt about all the rest about this neck's construction.

And talking about the inlay itself, it's a rather poor job. Big pools filled with epoxy, crooked pieces, etc. Inlays should ideally provide position markers too, these only provide confusion. Look at this design for example: The inlays are indeed designed to act as position markers, however they all fall slightly off their respective positions, like if they were designed for a different scale.

They look inexpensive, but they might just be cheap... I'd go for a much simpler design, but much better implementation, myself.

My 2 cents...

And talking about the inlay itself, it's a rather poor job. Big pools filled with epoxy, crooked pieces, etc. Inlays should ideally provide position markers too, these only provide confusion. Look at this design for example: The inlays are indeed designed to act as position markers, however they all fall slightly off their respective positions, like if they were designed for a different scale.

I get the feeling that the fretboard was glued on at an angle, so they just sanded down the sides.

But this just confirms my feeling that this guy's parts come from the same place as the other seller's.

Also of concern is the thickness of the material used by far east inlayers - it's much thinner than we're used to using and my major concern would be putting something like a 9" radius on one of those boards and going straight through the inlays near the sides - not very amusing !

Hi,

I have never dealt with any of these guys, but was checking their offerings and found this inlaid neck.

I believe it is more than just my personal opinion, but there's a lot more to a neck than a fancy inlay. It should be structurally sound, feel good, have a good fretjob, etc. I see an off-center truss rod there. That's a major issue in my book. Makes me doubt about all the rest about this neck's construction.

They look inexpensive, but they might just be cheap... I'd go for a much simpler design, but much better implementation, myself.

My 2 cents...

LOL. The first neck there is the one I was looking at getting. I think I shall stay far away from them then. Im annoyed now. Its hard to find a realitively inexpensive left handed strat neck these days and I missed an auction for a mighty might I was watching by a few minutes :D oh well.

What about these guys, the EDEN necks, I see quite a few knocking around ebay? And I could maybe get a paddle head and cut it. http://stores.ebay.ie/diyguitars

Edited by 68 lost souls

After eyeballing their necks I would probably avoid them.

It's hard to tell but it looks like there is not a uniform radius job on the frets.

As well the frets are beveled way too far into the neck, meaning when you play the neck the E strings will roll off of the neck.

If you can afford the loss go ahead and buy at your own risk, but if you are depending on this neck to be perfect and playable I would pass.

Just my opinion.