1st Neck- Too Thin At The Nut?

I'm trying my 1st neck. Overall, I'm encouraged by the process. However, when shaping the neck I got a little thin at the neck nut width portion. What's the thinnest guitars traditionally go? I've seen 1 11/16, 1 7/8, 1 5/8. So how thin can it be. I'd rather not scrap it ( glued on the fretboard with abalone dots and all already). However, if it's a lost cause then I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. Thanks.

Edited by bscur

I'm trying my 1st neck. Overall, I'm encouraged by the process. However, when shaping the neck I got a little thin at the neck nut width portion. What's the thinnest guitars traditionally go? I've seen 1 11/16, 1 7/8, 1 5/8. So how thin can it be. I'd rather not scrap it ( glued on the fretboard with abalone dots and all already). However, if it's a lost cause then I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. Thanks.

My Melody Maker is only 38 or 39 mm at the nut...and yet it's still pretty comfortable to play, depending on what you're playing. What I've always like about it is let your stretch your hand really well. On the other hand, it's much difficult to play single notes cleanly.

It really depends on your preferences.

One advice: what is out there is not important. A violin nut is approx 1"... So yes, thin nut width is possible. But ask yourself what width are you comfortable with? It's a personal thing.

I prefer 1"-11/16, but I'm still OK at 1"-5/8. That's 1mm difference.. Not a big deal. But I know I wouldn't be comfortable on yours; 1"-9/16.

It's not the neck width I'm not comfortable with, it's the string spacing. Keep in mind that your strings will be very close together. Let's say you leave 2mm on each side, so you don't 'fret-out' while playing, that means 7mm between each strings.. Close.

There is also the bridge string spacing to take into consideration. Don't choose a bridge with large string spacing. You will have a weird action; very large and open in the upper frets, but very close and tight in the lower frets.

I'm not saying it's bad thing, but these are the concerns you have to keep in mind. I'd say give it a try, and you'll see. There is nothing else you can do anyway. Except restart from scratch.

Edited by MescaBug

In case it matters, I measured and it is about 1 9/16. I saw that Fender had an "A" neck that was 1 1/2 so it looks like there are necks that thin out there.

I love my "A" neck with a passion, yah it's only 1.5 inches and is the most comfortable neck I've played in over 35 years. Makes for easy use of your thumb.