Colored Side Dots/bindings?

the side dots on that almost look like fretlights.. which is one possiblity

there are a few other possibilities like find a sheet of red plastic and cut your own, or use dyed wood veneer - or bloodwood (though i imagine that may be difficult to bend -might not though) or if you are really in for a challenge there is an article in the MIMF library where someone makes replica gretsch binding with epoxy and gold glitter - the same could be done for any colour

I tried red pencil.

I removed all the wood and the red looked beautiful.

One problem...the red is basically a wax, and it bled with the finish.

I ended up using orange grass-trimmer line.

Worked great.

See what your local landscaping store has.

Mike

Stew Mac sells dyed Maple binding in red...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim..._Purflings.html

:D

Those are just the purflings.

I've seen an article (on frets.com I think) about making cheap binding out of a PVC pipe. Maybe the same sort of thing could be done with some sort of red plastic sheet material...

Thanks for the link guitar2005 - the gauges they sell are a minimum of 1/4" which would be great for inlays but too large for side dots. The other solution would be to core out dots from sheet acrylic etc. using David Myka's side-dot technique. Mount some copper (David uses silver IIRC) tube into a pillar drill and gradually bore out dots.

Thanks for the link guitar2005 - the gauges they sell are a minimum of 1/4" which would be great for inlays but too large for side dots. The other solution would be to core out dots from sheet acrylic etc. using David Myka's side-dot technique. Mount some copper (David uses silver IIRC) tube into a pillar drill and gradually bore out dots.

My local plastic shop can get colored sheets that I can use for binding. As for 1.3mm side dots, I know I've seen colored rods that could be used for that application. The idea is that some of those places might have what you're looking for even though its not listed on the web.

Here's another example:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/TURCITEXRODRED

I say call 'em up and see what they can do for you.

Edited by guitar2005

My local plastic shop can get colored sheets that I can use for binding. As for 1.3mm side dots, I know I've seen colored rods that could be used for that application. The idea is that some of those places might have what you're looking for even though its not listed on the web.

Here's another example:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/TURCITEXRODRED

I say call 'em up and see what they can do for you.

A bit of a faff for me since i'm in the UK, and for what it's worth i'm going to use the copper tube coring method. Will that Turcite actually glue up? It sounds like it would be a bit of a problem, being "internally lubricated". Might also be problematic in finishing. Anyway.

• 1 year later...