New To The World Of Guitar Building

Greetings everyone. After contemplating my options on acquiring a Ovation GP, I have decided that I would like to attempt a build. I'm new to the craft, and in many ways this will be a very big learning experience for me. I'm not one to jump into a project, so I will be taking my time over the next couple months to absorb information and learn as much as possible about what I will be attempting.

While I filter through the archives of information, and read up on Make Your Own Electric Guitar, I will be calling various lumber yards to see if I can track down some South American Mahogany, and a bit of maple for the top. That way, it can be drying until I'm ready to start working (sometime in the Summer provided I learn enough by then to dig in). I would imagine it would still be in my best interest to find pieces that are kiln dried.

Here is the guitar that provides my inspiration:

Black-Ultra-GP-1.jpg

Now, before many say that this is going to be too difficult of a build for my first project, I do have an old neighbour who is a luthier and has been building guitars, basses, and cellos for over 30 years. I hope to have him around for most of the build to advise me on what to do (and more importantly, what not to do).

Now, I need to get into CAD and start doing some preliminary work. Being such a rare guitar, there are no templates that exist for it. I imagine I will have to spend a substantial amount of time getting everything accurate in my autodesk software.

I am also thinking that since this is my first project, I will order a custom neck and fretboard. This will no doubt add to the cost, but I see this as the most difficult part of the project, and I would like to tackle one thing at at time (this would also give me the possibility of finishing the project by the end of the year).

Comments and questions welcome. I'm looking forward to being a part of the board.

Signing off from Waterloo, Ontario :D

Edited by DuncanM

thats a pretty square on photo you can import it into autocad and use the polyline tool to draw around it and if they are standard humbucker you can even scale it properly.

I love these guitars but i think you should make a nicer headstock!

welcome by the way

Edited by joshvegas

thats a pretty square on photo you can import it into autocad and use the polyline tool to draw around it and if they are standard humbucker you can even scale it properly.

I love these guitars but i think you should make a nicer headstock!

welcome by the way

Thanks bud. I actually found someone who was nice enough to provide me with this image:

P1030919.jpg

I figure this should give me the starting point I need. The pickups are DiMarzio Super-2s. Vintage style. Not available anymore (in that shape, at least). I will have to explore my options as far as replacements. They still make the pickups (sound the same) but I believe the shape is a bit different. Will have to look into it further.

With regard to the headstock, I was thinking of going with a Maton style, or a Gibson style...or some combination of the two. Definitely will not be replicating the Ovation headstock. Not my style.

I'd still do it that way but with the new photo i hate trying to get curves right in autocad!

it kind of reminds me of a yamaha sg with an extended horn.

Edited by joshvegas