Buzzing Strings

Bought a rather pricey used Jackson Performer secondhand online , the seller assured me of its history and that it was expertly set up by a proffessional Luthier.

Upon playing i couldnt believe how buzzy and flat the fretted top 6th E was , i phoned him up ,explaining my dissapointment and he replyed , ohh its allways been like that ??????? .

lesson 1 , do not buy online .......

Anyhow i have tryed to eliminate the buzzy strings before seeking expert help , by straight edgeing the neck by adjusting the truss rodd ,and raising the action by shimming up the 6th string on the floyd rose bridge, although its better i dont like the action this high .

im thinking the neck and frets must be the cause ? possible worn out frets ? Also the hi humidity here cannot help the wood. Can anyone offer any good checks ? or advice or a good luthier in Northland NZ??

kind regards

Go to the main tutorial page - link

You will find information in the how to set up section. Set up your neck first, you can't really tell what is going on until you have. Be methodical, and don't bounce around adjusting this or that (you may be going in the wrong direction or even making it more confusing to tell what is happening). Take very careful measuerments, and use reliable straight edges. If you just recieved a guitar from a dryer or wetter climate it may very well be adjusting to your humidity. Give it a bit of time before making any heavy adjustments(stay away from permenant adjustments, such as sanding/leveling, until it is settled).

Peace,Rich

I wouldn't worry too much about buzzing strings right now. Its really no big deal and can probably be fixed. I assume that you're referring to fret buzz.

If you don't know much about setting up guitars, truss rods and fret work, bring it to a good luthier.

Check this page out: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/buzzing.htm

A couple of questions though.

1- How do you want you Low E string (measure at the 17th-21st fret)?

2- How much relief do you have in the neck?

3- What gauge string are you using

4- Does it buzz along the entire length of the neck of only specific regions?

Do you have close up pics of the frets? It could be that they're just flat and need levelling and re-crowning.

I wouldn't worry too much about buzzing strings right now. Its really no big deal and can probably be fixed. I assume that you're referring to fret buzz.

If you don't know much about setting up guitars, truss rods and fret work, bring it to a good luthier.

Check this page out: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/buzzing.htm

A couple of questions though.

1- How do you want you Low E string (measure at the 17th-21st fret)?

2- How much relief do you have in the neck?

3- What gauge string are you using

4- Does it buzz along the entire length of the neck of only specific regions?

Do you have close up pics of the frets? It could be that they're just flat and need levelling and re-crowning.

Hi

Thanks for advice

looking at the frets they do look very flat and i suspect they are the cause, if i place a fine needle under the string and on top the flatted fret the note plays clear .

I have a very straight neck but the strings run upwards towards the bridge, if i lower the action/bridge the buzzing worsens , mostly on the low E, .

I think i have pretty much checked all i can and now need to hand it to someone with all the rght tools .

I have noticed the string tree on the tuning headstock before the locking nut is missing ??

thanks again guys

I just checked that thread and he said it was on a guitar he assembled, and also that he resolved the problem. I'd not recommend saying something bad (or anything for that matter) about a forum member without contacting them first. That wont go over real well around here.

If you could take some pictures of the frets and give us exact action measurements (at the first, 12th, and last fret) and a little bit more detail as to the exact problem, (ie is it buzzing only when open, only on a certain fret/area or all across the neck?) we could better assess your problem.