Wiring My Jem

Devon8822

Im trying to fix up the wiring in my JEM, and I ran into a problem. In the diagram, it shows the 2 wires going from the jack to the volume pot (one of the pot the other on the middle prong). How do know which is which? in the diagram its a gray and black wire.. but on mine I have a white one and a uncovered grey one... They are both from inside a big black covering and split into 2. What do I do now? thanks

Question #2... does a bunch of old soder capped onto a pot cause any provblmes like hum or squeal? is it necessary to take off? I have a 40 watter soder gun and its not taking it off.

Edited by Devon8822

1. I can't see what you see, but from your description you have two wires that comes from one, and one is bare, the other is coated. The coated goes to the TIP, or the end of the plug, the uncoated is the ground. The TIP probably comes from the common on your switch. If you look at the jack closely you can tell which lug goes to which part of the plug.

2. The solder on the pots are there intentionally (Probably). A glob of solder on a switch and all the grounds go to it. It's a common practice and won't cause you any issues you can leave it.

1. I can't see what you see, but from your description you have two wires that comes from one, and one is bare, the other is coated. The coated goes to the TIP, or the end of the plug, the uncoated is the ground. The TIP probably comes from the common on your switch. If you look at the jack closely you can tell which lug goes to which part of the plug.

2. The solder on the pots are there intentionally (Probably). A glob of solder on a switch and all the grounds go to it. It's a common practice and won't cause you any issues you can leave it.

OK, and can I take a bit of wire from the red wire on the pickup to attach to the un-covered jack wire which is too short?

and its not a glob, its more of a mess of solder on the pot from past pickup swaps. is that still ok?

Edited by Devon8822

Not a problem extending the wire. I would recommend soldering it.

It doesn't hurt anything to have extra solder on the top of a pot, if it's not causing electical problems like shorting something out.

If you really want to remove the glob, you need to get some solder braid from radio shack or someplace. It absorbs the solder, sucking it into the braid. They also sell solder bulbs, which pull the solder into itself with air. I like the solder braid better.

-J