Testing A Emg 81

cyco

Hey guys, I have a EMG 81 that is about 5 years old and it seems to be lacking in power. It is not as loud or as sensitive as it was when new, it is quieter than the 85 in the neck. can I test this with a multimeter and what are the correct specs?

You can actually email EMG's tech support via their website on this one, and they're generally quite good people to talk to. Since they're sealed units, as long as it's not been subject to abuse in some kind of way (heat/cold, over-voltage, shock, etc) they may actually replace it if you approach the subject nicely with them. A possibility. I'm not entirely sure how to check if the pickup is working as the internal buffer may give misleading or difficult to interpret results compared to a passive pickup, especially as the buffer circuit's build (although it's not a huge secret) isn't public knowledge.

Perhaps the lack of power is down to a short in the coil? It hasn't been abused....has it?

You can actually email EMG's tech support via their website on this one, and they're generally quite good people to talk to. Since they're sealed units, as long as it's not been subject to abuse in some kind of way (heat/cold, over-voltage, shock, etc) they may actually replace it if you approach the subject nicely with them. A possibility. I'm not entirely sure how to check if the pickup is working as the internal buffer may give misleading or difficult to interpret results compared to a passive pickup, especially as the buffer circuit's build (although it's not a huge secret) isn't public knowledge.

Perhaps the lack of power is down to a short in the coil? It hasn't been abused....has it?

not really, I don't gig anymore. It is in my old explorer and I baby that thing.

Email EMG tech support and tell them that the pickup has failed despite it yadda yadda, etc. However, the warranty is limited to two years:

All EMG Pickups and accessories are warranted for a period of two years. This warranty

does not cover failure due to improper installation, abuse or damage. If upon examination the

pickup is determined to be defective, a replacement will be made at no charge. Warranty

replacement products are covered by this same warranty. This warranty covers only those

pickups and accessories sold by authorized EMG Dealers. This warranty is not transferable.

Sounds like you can ask, but don't expect. Unless you're wiring the pickup incorrectly, I don't think you'll recover this pickup if it has in fact failed. Oh yes - 85s are a LOT louder than 81s, but if you've noticed a dropoff over time then there's got to be something in that I guess. What wiring config is in your Explorer? Is it possible you have a dirty switch or pots? If it's a master volume then I would examine the toggle (presuming "standard" EXP config) as it would affect the 85s output otherwise. That could possibly affect things. It would be a good time to check, clean and double-check the electronics in case it's a simple fix somewhere along those lines. Maybe even try disconnecting the 81 from the circuit and wiring it direct to an amp to see what difference that makes if any. It's difficult to say, but best of luck.

Edited by Prostheta