Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide, 3rd Edition (new One)

angry_jeremy

Screw that !

I used metric one time, and the whole guitar went limp, like a big wet noodle.

I used Imperial once and I ended up with cart springs and a live axle! :D

Edited by joshvegas

I was poking fun at the fact that america produces some pretty shoddy cars with outdated suspension and transmission to the rear wheels and could it be related to using and outdated measuring system? :D

I guess you need to grow up with topgear to get it!

Edited by joshvegas

Metric is so much better and easier in fine increments

Agreed. Give me tenths of a millimeter any day, I can't deal with fractions!

But I use inches for long measurements (scale lengths, what have you). How dare I? :D

I am the same, I am old enough that Australia changed to metric half way through my schooling so I can't understand height of a person...if they describe a felon in metric I have no idea but if they say 5'6" or 6' it makes sense. Even inches make some general sense. I still speak in miles but of course I mean kms as all the signs have changed and you get used to it.

I simply don't understand how you measure fractions of inches though for things like fret height...or fractions in general perhaps. This book usually uses fractions like 3/64" but sometime decimals like .030" to confuse me more.

It seems to be a part of the underlying conservative nature of America that they are a little slow in moving with the times. It is kind of odd in that the republic was a rejection of English rule (that effectively Australia still has) yet kept their imperialist measurement system. Odd with such an early French influence (revolution, statue of liberty, etc) that they didn't take up metric from the start. Still, no health care either and possibly no car industry if they keep going down this road. Even a whole space mission once failed because of confusion between metric and imperial measurements! (sorry been trying to learn some US history to try and understand an increasingly foreign land!).

As for the book...besides the politics and the poor measurement system (at least he could have published both so the rest of the entire world didn't need to convert everything), I still maintain that it is an excellent source of information for guitar repair and the new edition is an improvement over the last. Mine came with a DVD on setup, I haven't watched it, but I suspect it is a teaser to get you to buy others.

IN the last year I consulted it with success on the installation of a khaler trem (where they were the only ones to show that the screw holes are intentionally off center slightly and not to use them to get the centre line) and installing a fender LSR roller nut... These tips alone were enough to convince me to buy the thing once I say that there was a new edition.

pete

Does the new version have a list of 15 totally unrelated Stew Mac branded tools, required for every seperate job?

Every time i see Dan's name, i think of the pictures of him with the magnifying head set on his head, looking like Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys. :D

Just for you Perry:

bubbleserlewine.jpg

Personally, I think he looks more like a Ghostbuster with those goggleses.

Syd Little? ...or even Pete Waterman?

I was poking fun at the fact that america produces some pretty shoddy cars with outdated suspension and transmission to the rear wheels and could it be related to using and outdated measuring system? :D

I guess you need to grow up with topgear to get it!

But do you think The Stig uses inches or millimeters when judging braking points on the track?

"...and on that bombshell, goodnight!"

FWIW, I like Dan Erlewine. I have some of his books, and I really like the way he explains things. Also, as pointed out earlier, he does actually credit people where appropriate. I have no access to fully trained luthiers as such, and it means that any info I can get, either paper-based or 'puter-based like t'internet, I am grateful for.

DJ

The stig doesn't measure the stig just does!

I like the book alot but I hate doing the conversion (funny considering I'm studying maths!)

I like to use a two fold system mint imperial for guestimation and metric for accurate measuring.

It seems to be a part of the underlying conservative nature of America that they are a little slow in moving with the times. It is kind of odd in that the republic was a rejection of English rule (that effectively Australia still has) yet kept their imperialist measurement system.

We told the King of England that we would love for him to come over so we could see just how well his shoe size fits all the way up his back-side. We keep using his system in honor of that. (This is all scribbled down on the back of the Declaration of Independence, if you want to go grab that and take a look-- up on a wall with a thumb-tack at some bus station)

What about the guitar strings you buy, are they gauged in "imperial" or metric.

this might help :

3/64" = .046" E string thickness

1/64" = .016" G string (close enough, at least)

It seems to be a part of the underlying conservative nature of America that they are a little slow in moving with the times. It is kind of odd in that the republic was a rejection of English rule (that effectively Australia still has) yet kept their imperialist measurement system.

We told the King of England that we would love for him to come over so we could see just how well his shoe size fits all the way up his back-side. We keep using his system in honor of that. (This is all scribbled down on the back of the Declaration of Independence, if you want to go grab that and take a look-- up on a wall with a thumb-tack at some bus station)

What about the guitar strings you buy, are they gauged in "imperial" or metric.

this might help :

3/64" = .046" E string thickness

1/64" = .016" G string (close enough, at least)

You're right, my strings are imported so they are 10-46...I am playing imperial strings...cool!

I like that "close enough"!

As for shoe size...I am looking inside my shoe...and what do I see...

US=11, UK=10 1/2, EU=45, CM=29 (made in china!)

That's odd...cause I thought I took a 9 1/2...must be growing!

I have wondered also, US dress sizes seem to be smaller (unlike shoes apparently...must be compensating for something there) so a 12 in the US is like a 10 down here....must be something about the average sizes or something in different countries.

I like to use a two fold system mint imperial for guestimation and metric for accurate measuring.

Absolutely! Funny though, the up and coming generation (like my kids) don't learn imperial so they look at you a bit odd when you talk feet and inches but they are not able to give generalized measurements so well it would seem. I think both have their benifits but in the sustainer thread I know a lot of people have had trouble converting my 0.02mm wire specification with wire gauges being different "standards" (actually oxymorons) and those standards differing not only by country, but by the supplying country. I don't know what that measurement is in fractions of an inch, but I do know I would get it wrong if I tried to convert it and no one would stock it even if I could!!!

I just cant seem to find a ruler anyway that has these kinds of fine divisions of an inch.

Anyway...back to the book...has anyone here actually had their ideas pinched and not credited? Are the people who have been credited with these ideas got sour grapes over it? I notice some of the wiring diagrams I was consulting tonight have been credited to seymour duncan while in fact they are replications of vintage wiring diagrams....hmmm...I bet he ain't complaining a little more free publicity!

pete

I'll say one thing for fractions of an inch it's easier physically to divide by base two. I just can't see any situation where that is of benefit.

Soapbar I like that.

"grrr we don't like you very much and to show how much we dislike you we shall keeep your frankly horrendously archaic measuring system thus making it easier for you, with your entire empires worth of resources, to take our money!" I sure that showed us! :D

Thanks !

Although I'm technically just an amatuer "history expert", I've made some astounding discoveries through diligent research. Like this 1492 Native American painting of Christopher Columbus' first landing at the new world (somewhere in what's now Florida)

I also like to use the internet for my studies...

stupid_genius_01.jpg

Ok, so apparently on page 216 of Erlewine's new book, it shows/tells about the Plek machine. Anyone read that page yet ? (don't have the book myself)

Curious if it's written totally in favor of the Plek machine, or neutral about it, or what.

Or maybe in other words, how would the Plek company feel about what's written about their machine in the book ?