Strip The Poly --keep The Burst?

I've read through the posts about stripping guitar bodies, but I don't know if this has been covered.

I have a Fender Classic '50s Esquire --it's an awesome guitar, great neck, and now that I've played an ash tele, I do indeed believe that wood has a big influence on tone (the alder teles I've played are definitely inferior in tone).

Only problem is the guitar is covered in a super-thick poly ...I just don't like that ultra-glossy, bullet proof look. I want the guitar to age properly.

So I'm planning on stripping the poly off and refinishing it with nitro.

My question: is it possible to strip the poly without ruining the burst? (I'd sand the poly)

I'm guessing it's not-- that the burst is applied on top of the sealer, right? But if it's beneath the sealer, then it should be possible.

It's a nice burst, so I don't mind keeping it. Of course, the guitar would look great as a blonde too.

Probably not gonna happen my friend. If you go all the way to the sealer you will loose the burst. I don't know how you keep the burst and loose the clear, Fender seems to be combining it into a single stage process these days. At least that's been my experience on some refinishes I've done.

I don't know how you keep the burst and loose the clear, Fender seems to be combining it into a single stage process these days. At least that's been my experience on some refinishes I've done.

Ah, okay, that's good to know.

I'm not married to the 'burst. I mean, it's nice and all, but I'm sure I can replicate a fascimile...or just change the color altogether...like a blue burst (I'll want to show off the ash, they did a really fine job matching the grain).

As long as I can keep the sealer coat intact, I'll be alright.

You know, all the other specs on this guitar match the '50s Esquire specs --so why did they bathe it in poly?

You know, all the other specs on this guitar match the '50s Esquire specs --so why did they bathe it in poly?

Because that's what they use at the Mexico factory. I'm pretty sure you won't find any Fender that doesn't have at least a polyester sealer coat, even the "thin skin nitro" finishes. It's just the way they do things these days.

Because that's what they use at the Mexico factory. I'm pretty sure you won't find any Fender that doesn't have at least a polyester sealer coat, even the "thin skin nitro" finishes. It's just the way they do things these days.

Well, I can see how a lot of people consider the poly finish a feature, since it really looks indestructible. I don't mind the poly sealer coat, since it will make it a whole lot easier to refinish (since it's so perfectly flat).