Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

I'm JJ Donohue and I'm addicted to guitar building. I live in north central Indiana and have a small basement shop. I've been building mostly acoustic guitars for the past 5 years. During that time I've managed to build 4 electrics of varying complexity. I mostly hang out at OLF but wanted to spend some time here with my increasing interest in "the dark side" of guitar building.

I'm not really sure about the climate and customs on this forum compared to others but hope to become part of your community. Having lurked here for awhile, I recognize a few familiar members. I also look forward to meeting new friends and increasing the level of knowledge about the science and art of electric guitars.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Rich. I'll try to behave myself...but I must admit to enjoying an occasional "towel snapping" session if the situation calls for it. I suspect there might be others who are so inclined. I just can't take myself so seriously all the time and try to keep a sense of humor close to the surface.

:D

When you get sick of Indiana, head east on I-80 and move yo bad self to Maryland....then you can be assimilated into PG's Maryland Mafia. Not only home of Mr. Paul Reed Smith, but also home to more PG Guitar of the Month winners than any other state and most other countries (except Oz I think...).

MDflag.gif

First click "Add Reply" and not "Fast Reply", then click the little button with the green photo-looking thing on it (just next to the green cross, which is just next to the happy face). Paste in the URL to your photo-hosting site, and Bob's your uncle.

This site doesn't allow you to upload photos like the OLF used to (maybe still does???).

Hey there JJ, great to see a bit of flow from the OLF this direction! We've lured a few members over there, after all.

Stick around, have some fun.

Mattia...As a lurker, I was pleasantly surprised to find you here and that influenced me to sign on. My new goal is to alternate an acoustic with an electric build so I plan on spending as much time here as OLF. The OLF really is more interested in acoustic guitar building as evidenced by the fact that they have chosen not to open a separate Electric Guitar Section. I found that choice definitive of their mission so I now choose to learn about electrics here as well as the MIMF. Thanks for the warm welcome...I'm looking forward to the new experience.

Looks great! I love all the different layers and that top is cool! Funny that you should call switching to electrics the "dark side" because I find myself slowly switching to acoustics. And welcome to the forum. You'll find that there is a range of talent here, and there are many people, like myself, that are still fairly new to building. It's obvious you've been doing this for awhile though. :D

Hey now, I'll take one! It's pretty spiffy work, do you have a list of tech details about it? I like what you did with carving the belly and elbow cuts. How thick are those laminates?

Check out www.acguitars.co.uk if you haven't already. He does a similar thing with his carves.

...do you have a list of tech details about it?

This is essentially a modified Strat insofar as the basic shape and neck angle are concerned. Pretty simple really but there are some differences.

Body...7 layers from top to bottom are:

...Walnut=1/8"

...Bloodwood=1/8"

...Curly Maple=1/8"

...Mahogany=1"

...Curly Maple=1/8"

...Bloodwood=1/8"

...Quilted Maple=1/8"

Neck...7 layers including Maple, Cherry and black fiber... 24 fret.... Bloodwood bindings... Bone nut...Schaller Mini Tuners...Medium-High Frets

Electronics...SD Humbucker Jazz neck PUP...SD Humbucker JB Bridge PUP

Bridge...Gotoh Hardtail

Finish...The best thing I did on the project was to have this done by a professional. My acoustics are finished in French Polished shellac and I have no ability to spray. This is a Catalyzed Polyester finish and it is the hardest, toughest, most scratch-resistant finish I have ever seen ...and is fully cured within 3 days. It was done by Sunset Finishes in Middlebury, IN. Joe White is a true artist and pro.

Looks like it worked...thanks Eric. A few other views:

Shredder8.jpg

Shredder9.jpg

I lurk here daily and have posted a few times, so I hope I won't be out of line by saying welcome aboard.

In the top picture, it looks like you've rounded the tip of the horn. Is it rounded off or just the camera angle? The reason I'm asking is because I rounded them off in my first build and I've never seen anyone else do it.

P1000784.jpg

P1000779.jpg

Nice work!

JJ: I find I enjoy building an electric and an acoustic at the same time, as you can jig up for the very few common areas they have (basically fretboard radiussing and slotting, and headstock cutting), and then sort of settle into whatever zone you're in the mood for; electrics are a lot more freeform, you can get a bit funkier with the shapes without worrying whether you've taken off a tenth of an inch too much and ruined the sound!

Wow, I have to say that finishing job is incredible! Nice job! :D

I'm JJ Donohue and I'm addicted to guitar building. I live in north central Indiana and have a small basement shop. I've been building mostly acoustic guitars for the past 5 years. During that time I've managed to build 4 electrics of varying complexity. I mostly hang out at OLF but wanted to spend some time here with my increasing interest in "the dark side" of guitar building.

I'm not really sure about the climate and customs on this forum compared to others but hope to become part of your community. Having lurked here for awhile, I recognize a few familiar members. I also look forward to meeting new friends and increasing the level of knowledge about the science and art of electric guitars.

I'm kinda jumping in here late in the game "Dark Side" I like that one kinda fits. I think your 5 years to late to be a newbie around here. Anyway nice work (your pictures).

Rules of conduct???? I think I missed that posting can someone provide me a link?.

I quote "We dont need no stinking badges" kinda sums up this forum. OLF is too nice to be compaired to the dark side. Besides sometimes I find the contoversy refereshing as well as the lack of sponsorship. Besides learning to stay out of trouble here is an art form. I am still learning.

Nice to have you on board and again nice work.

Edited by Woodenspoke

Besides learning to stay out of trouble here is an art form. I am still learning.

You & me both, brutha! Every once in a while, someone says the absolutely wrong thing with the wrong perceived attitude and I immediately go off the deep end. (Testify, Mickguard!) For the most part, though, we're all friends here.

Besides learning to stay out of trouble here is an art form. I am still learning.

You & me both, brutha! Every once in a while, someone says the absolutely wrong thing with the wrong perceived attitude and I immediately go off the deep end. (Testify, Mickguard!) For the most part, though, we're all friends here.

Now I take my prozac wait 45 min before I log onto the DarK Side.

Yeah I have been there; done that. But in all honestly I have had worse on other forums, like the pickup makers forum, Brutal to say the least. I cant remember all the people I have ticked off here but I was under the impression at first that VIP meant fight back. The crazy thing is I always comeback for more. Now where are my pills???