Spokeshave And Hand Plane Bevel Orientation

Donut Man

I feel very stupid asking this, but here goes:

Right I've got a spokeshave, a no. 4 jack plane and an old Stanley block plane.

The Jack plane came with the beveled side of the blade facing down but the iron only fits into the Stanley block plane with the bevel facing up.

And to make matters worse, I can't remember which way around the spokeshave was.

Are they supposed to be oriented differently? Or is the block plane just messed up.

Edited by Donut Man

Block planes are bevel up because (i think) of the nature of the job it's supposed to do (cut end grain) which does not grab the blade and make it dig in like planing with the grain can do if you're not carefull.

Think of it like chisels bevel up a chisel digs in to wood where as you get more control bevel down but if you are cutting across the grain the flat side goes against the cut face.

Just in general for your basic common or garden planes (and spokeshaves) and their original uses. small angles (between sole and blade) imply bevel up bigger angles imply bevel down.

The Jack plane came with the beveled side of the blade facing down but the iron only fits into the Stanley block plane with the bevel facing up.

And to make matters worse, I can't remember which way around the spokeshave was.

Are they supposed to be oriented differently? Or is the block plane just messed up.

Simply put "Yes" they are oriented differently. Some hand planes are now being made with the bevel down and low angle if I am remembering it correctly but in theory 99% are bevel up. I believe a #4 Stanley Smooth not jack is also bevel up. If the blade is in wrong you will not be able to adjust the blade height.

But I am not a plane expert and I dont have intimate knowledge about the multitude of models that were made over the last 150 years.

Most spokeshaves using the standard Stanley and Record bodys and angles are bevel down for the reasons Joshvegas mentions.

Simply put "Yes" they are oriented differently. Some hand planes are now being made with the bevel down and low angle if I am remembering it correctly but in theory 99% are bevel up. I believe a #4 Stanley Smooth not jack is also bevel up. If the blade is in wrong you will not be able to adjust the blade height.

But I am not a plane expert and I don't have intimate knowledge about the multitude of models that were made over the last 150 years.

Most spokeshaves using the standard Stanley and Record body's and angles are bevel down for the reasons Joshvegas mentions.

After careful thought my comments were wrong. Most Planes are bevel down since the chip breaker needs to be adjusted close to the back of the blades edge for different woods. Closer for hardwoods and furher back for softwoods. Again besides the Spokeshave your best reference is the adjustment mechanism, if the blade is in wrong the blade height will not adjust. Your best bet if confused is to do a google search on the plane you have, chances are someone has some huge page devoted to each plane.

Edited by Woodenspoke