Favorite Truss Rods?

I've searched the forum and found little bits and pieces on trussrods, but thought it might be nice to see what ya'll prefer using and why?

All I've ever used are the 2-way truss rods, found at Stew Mac or LMII.

The last batch of rods I bought from LMII were my favorite so far....seemed like better quality steel, good and tight threads for turning, etc.

I've been debating using a 'traditional' 1-way rod for my next build, just to try it out. However, I'm not sure exactly how/if the rod needs to be 'bent' when you install it or not, plus add the filler strip and trimming and it just seems an overwhelming science and hassle.

I saw these recently:

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm

The Mark Blanchard improved ones seem very cool: Stainless Steel. Anybody ever used one?

I know some people here make their own and kudos to them!

If you were going to make a 1-piece maple neck, a la fender, and install the rod from the back, what rod would you use?? How would you do it?

If you were going to make a 1-piece maple neck, a la fender, and install the rod from the back, what rod would you use?? How would you do it?

i have only done one 1-piece neck so far but i used a rod like the allied one and extended the skunk strip to under the nut

60.jpg

Have you guys been using the 18.25" or 18.75" length Allied rods (17.25" and 17.75" excluding the adjustment nut)?

I've been using 18" StewMac Hot Rods and their length is perfect, but I don't recall if that measurement includes or excludes the adjustment nut.

I'm going to try the Allied rods, but I want the ones that are closest in size to the 18" Hot Rod.

Edited by Rick500

+2 for the Allied rods. They are definitely thinner than the StewMac hotrods so you can make a thinner neck using them. And the require only a standard 1/4" bit for routing the slot, not a specialized bit like the SM version.

What Erik said about the Allied Rod...BTW...this is the Mark Blanchard design and it works beautifully. Still nothing wrong with the SM Hotrod but I have lately preferred the Allied. I've used it on 2 guitars so far.