Neck Attachment Question

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete newbie at this guitar building stuff- in fact the project I've just started more involves assembling parts rather than actual building. I've bought myself a nice alder body, and am looking at getting a decent neck, but I was wondering how best to attach it. The body is second hand and already has bolt-holes drilled, but the neck I'm looking at doesn't. Woud it be best to drill holes into the neck (something I'm a little bit nervous about) or would I be able to glue the neck in with hide glue?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sam

Dill the pilot holes. It's not hard. Use a depth stop then you'll be able to get just the right depth.

If you don't have those fancy clamp on stops, you can make one from a small dowel or scrap of wood.

-Doug

I wouldnt glue a neck into a bolt on pocket, because there wont be enough surface area to make a good joint.

Clamp the neck into the pocket and draw through the existing hole on the body onto the neck to show where the hole needs to be drilled for the bolts.

If the body is already drilled for the bridge ensure that you have a neck to match it e.g the number of frets and the scale length need to match what the body is drilled for.

I

If the body is already drilled for the bridge ensure that you have a neck to match it e.g the number of frets and the scale length need to match what the body is drilled for.

The bridge is already attached to the body - how do i know what number of frets and scale length it is for?

thanks

You need to find out what the scale length the body was prepped for in order to get the correct neck. Was the body setup for a 24 fret neck or 21 or 22 etc.? Where and who did you get the body from? What type etc. You should probably pick up a copy of "Make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock and do a lot of research on this site for help.

Jeff

Not all heels are the same. I believe Warmoth bodies are 25 1/2 scale but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be a custom. The one I got way back in 1985 was a 25 1/2 scale so I bought a Warmoth neck to go with it and it works fine.

A long time ago I believe I saw a picture at the Warmoth site showing the difference between the Strat heel(rounded) and the Tele heel(squared). That should help explain the heel geometry for you. I think this link is what I saw. http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks....fuseaction=faq2

Jeff

The Warmoth bodies I've made necks for have been the same and fit a Strat sized neck. However don't make assumptions.

Geometry... this includes the taper. Now that we know it's a Warmoth, and if Warmoth made the neck pocket etc. then there's a fair chance it has some typical dimensions.

-Doug

The use of hide glue is fine, almost any glue will work. Many a big deal master craftsman uses straight up elmers glue for jointing, it is more about pressure and gluing surface than anything else, especially having three sides of glueing.

The Warmoth bodies I've made necks for have been the same and fit a Strat sized neck. However don't make assumptions.

Geometry... this includes the taper. Now that we know it's a Warmoth, and if Warmoth made the neck pocket etc. then there's a fair chance it has some typical dimensions.

-Doug

Thanks for all the great advice Doug, and everyone else - I really am grateful! I was thinking of going for something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Strat-Ebony-Guitar-Nec...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think?

The only thing I don't like about it is the headstock, I kinda fancied the larger, more shapely Fender style headstock but can't find one with an ebony fingerboard :D, anyone know where I could get one for a reasonable price?

Thanks again

Sam

Edited by SamJH

That link doesn't work for me so I don't know what the cost is of the neck you want from Ebay. However, you could have a custom neck done exactly the way you want. Of course it will probably cost more but you can get it the way you want it. I would take a look at Doug's website www.soulmateguitars.com as he makes some very nice looking necks. Had I known about his necks when I bought my Carvin neck through I would have got one from him instead. Also, if I decide to buy another neck I will go to him first.

Jeff