Direct Mount Pickups Into The Pickup Cavity

I want to direct mount a humbucker and I'm a bit confused about the process. I know you put the spring under the pickup so it goes between the pickup and the body but, My guess is, you don't use the machine height adjustment screws to mount it or for height adjustment.

Do you use wood screws and just drill out the pickup to accept the wood screw? I'm a bit concerned about permanent damage to the pickup encase it doesn't end up being the best pickup for the guitar and with stripping the hole over time.

What's the best method?

I want to direct mount a humbucker and I'm a bit confused about the process. I know you put the spring under the pickup so it goes between the pickup and the body but, My guess is, you don't use the machine height adjustment screws to mount it or for height adjustment.

Do you use wood screws and just drill out the pickup to accept the wood screw? I'm a bit concerned about permanent damage to the pickup encase it doesn't end up being the best pickup for the guitar and with stripping the hole over time.

What's the best method?

Hi, I´ve mounted the humbuckers directly to the body in my recently finished travel guitar. My DIY solution was :

1) Cut a piece of metal (the lengh of the pick up). Make two very small holes at the extremes in the same place that the PU have the fixation holes. Make another bigger hole in the centre of the piece (I´ve made two but one is enough). Paint the metal in black.

2) Attach the piece of metal to the body using the centre hole and a regular wood screw.

3) Glue a piece of rubber foam to this metal (the foam is used like a spring to adjust the PU´s height.

4) Fix the PUs with small screws (these screws pass through the pickup hole without damaged it) to the piece of metal.

In this way the PUs remains original, without any damage and you can change them when you want.

See this pic to clarify :

PUs-Mounting.jpg

Hope that helps. :D