Getting Ready For A Rickenbacker Build

I've just about finished upgrading my shop and I'm anxious to get back to building guitars. At the top of my list is a Rickenbacker '58 325 (just like John's). I've been searching for specs, measurements, templates, plans, blueprints and drawings of this, or any Ric, with little success. Aside from the specs that the Rickenbacker website offers I've come up with nada. Have any of our builders here attempted a Ric and, or have access to information. It would be sooooooo greatly appreciated. I think this build would be a challenge, but a lot of fun. And, of course it will be documented here. Thanks in advance.

325C58MG.jpg

Gil

I'm a big fan of early Rickenbackers.

But sorry,I don't know where you'd find plans....If you can,sit yourself down with one and have a good close look at it,take some measurements etc.

Draw your own plan.

I base some of my build techniques from what I can understand of their design. I'm about to start on a 4005 Bass

You can never go wrong with the "find a picture blow it up to full size" method.

+1

I wanted to make a ric for the longest but I couldn't find plans so I just looked for pictures. I was able to find some great straight-on shots of the stuff people were selling on e-bay.

I eventually scrapped the project when I realized the hardware was going to be near impossible to get my hands on without spending many hundreds of dollars. Can't wait to see how yours turns out, though. Maybe I'll be inspired to dust mine off. :D

I have indeed built this guitar. Mine is a 350 (full-scale neck) because the one time I tried to play a 325, I hated it.

Still, the 350/325 is one of the prettiest guitars ever made.

Sorry, I don't have any plans for it though -- I used the body from a 350 copy to make my template. Where are you located? I have some free time coming up, and I'm planning on making a few templates from other guitars anyway, so I can easily redo this one too (I want to keep my own templates), I can make you one and send it to you --you pay shipping and material costs (I'm in France). If you prefer, I can just make a tracing and send that off. PM me if you're interested.

I can't guarantee 100 percent accuracy, but it's close enough. I can try to post a pic later (they used to be on photobucker but my account got wiped out).

I also plan on making a modified template, but adding a couple of centimeters to the circumference. The guitar will be more comfortable to play if it's a bit larger, I think.

Mickguard,

Thanks for the offer! Seeing that I make minor tweaks on most of my builds anyways it would great if you could email or pm those tracings when you come across them. A very nice gesture I must say. I'm finishing a '52 Hotrod Tele right now. As soon as I finish I will get started in earnest on the Ric. I will be sure and do a build thread.

Gil