T Or F: Neck-thru's Are Better For Heavy Metal A/o Active Pickups

This is a great discussion. It really is too bad that the guitar doesn't make you sound a certain way.

I really got the impression that neck-throughs were generally more neutral sounding, which according to the theory I either heard or surmised (i.e. made up :D) made it better for adding distortion to, which also seemed to gel with some of the traits I have heard touted with active pickups. Obviously there are exceptions, and a lot at that, but I did wonder why neck-thrus seem fairly exclusive to metal. Upper fret registry and tradition are obviously factors for the guitars used by certain musicians.

The one thing I can say is metal is about attitude and certain guitars put me in certain moods that make for killer jams. I used to tell my bass player that there is an electricity that starts at the amp and flows up through the cord into your guitar and eventually to the back of your skull that makes the whole thing become alive. Find that combo and burn.

My Mark IV Mesa and my favorite guitar (or which ever has new strings on it) is all I really need.

I agree. It is just that some guitars are a bit of a compromise, more so than others at least, for playing certain styles. Still, what you say rings of the truth.

-Cheers

Now I think the discussion is getting somewhere. There is no true or false answer to your question. There are small differences, how small has a lot to do with the style and player. Your effects and amp are going to easily walk all over these small differences, with a small adjustment. Not to take the wind out of the theory you are trying to develop in your head, but it is worth taking in the big picture, before you convince yourself there is more there than what is really there. Leave that to the people who come up with the marketing angles to sell guitars.

Skulls, points, and all that B-horror film/ dungeons and dragons stuff. Probably will work wonders on one of these metal guitars.

Rich

Not to take the wind out of the theory you are trying to develop in your head, but it is worth taking in the big picture, before you convince yourself there is more there than what is really there. Leave that to the people who come up with the marketing angles to sell guitars.

By all means, go ahead. I do not come here to drum up support for my theories, just seeing if there is any merit to them or not. If not, I am totally fine with that.

-Cheers