Bridge Placement For A Bass Project

For a guitar, I think you determine the bridge placement by measuring the distance from the front edge of the nut to the 12th fret, then use that measurement from the 12th fret on to determine the bridge placement.

I used this theory in trying to determine the bridge placement on a bass and it looks way off. :D

Can anyone give me a little guidance here?

Thanks! :D

Just measure the scale length from the nut to the saddle of the bridge?

which will be twice the distance from nut to 12th fret so you should be around the right place but really you measure 12th fret to nut to detrmine the scale length and as neil say once you know the scale length measure from the nut.

- in what way does it 'look way off' - they do need slightly more compensation than a guitar but if you set the saddles most of the way forward and put them bang on the scale length measurment you should have enough backwards adjustment to intonate properly.. all depends what bridge you are using though - that will work with most fender style bass bridges on the market

Just measure the scale length from the nut to the saddle of the bridge?

which will be twice the distance from nut to 12th fret so you should be around the right place but really you measure 12th fret to nut to detrmine the scale length and as neil say once you know the scale length measure from the nut.

Okay, so it is in fact the same way you would determine the bridge placement on a guitar. :D

- in what way does it 'look way off' - they do need slightly more compensation than a guitar but if you set the saddles most of the way forward and put them bang on the scale length measurment you should have enough backwards adjustment to intonate properly.. all depends what bridge you are using though - that will work with most fender style bass bridges on the market.

I'm restoring an old Ibanez beater ...

I removed all the hardware, including the bridge because I was going to replace it.

I didn't really think twice about filling all the holes during the body prep stages and I've since sprayed it with an epoxy primer/sealer.

I purchased a Wilkenson replacement, and when I measured exactly how you guys are telling me it's done, it looked ALOT closer towards the neck than where the original bridge was mounted. I also took into account the actual saddle placements and not just the mounting holes.

I even compared it to pictures I had taken prior to disassembling the bass and it's way off.

Weird. :D

Edited by DGW