Fender Re-wire

CraigC

I currently own a late 90's MiM Fender Strat. I pulled everything to refinish the guitar. Cut the original wires, from pots/pu's. Couldn't find the same gauge wire, so got a larger guage wire. I put everything back as they were before, but am getting a HUGE hum now. The hum occurs when I touch the strings, or any other metal part of the guitar. The hum gets less as I mess with the tone, and 5-way switch. I have checked my grounds and they all seem to be in order. Any ideas? And anyone know where I can get some guitar wire that is the same gauge as factory? what gauge is it? Thanks!

I currently own a late 90's MiM Fender Strat. I pulled everything to refinish the guitar. Cut the original wires, from pots/pu's. Couldn't find the same gauge wire, so got a larger guage wire. I put everything back as they were before, but am getting a HUGE hum now. The hum occurs when I touch the strings, or any other metal part of the guitar. The hum gets less as I mess with the tone, and 5-way switch. I have checked my grounds and they all seem to be in order. Any ideas? And anyone know where I can get some guitar wire that is the same gauge as factory? what gauge is it? Thanks!

The gauge of wire isn't causing the hum it's most likely the ground that is the problem. Double check that the tremolo is grounded and all the pots and the pickguard foil.