Guitar Smell

hahahah I'm sorry but this is possibly the most rediculous post ever....this is why I don't check PGF much anymore.

And you are.... who exactly? I don't recall you ever contributing rediculous(sic) amounts of wisdom to the forum... or any amounts of wisdom at all.

Ok thats fair enough I guess...I just think Luthiery can get lost in mysticism and the magic of processes, maybe its best to sand the neck of your guitar whilst facing east at midnight on the second moon of a blue moon month. Or you could just get on with it, either way its got to get done. But hey this is called "Project" Guitar Forum so whatev's...

That's some fantastic cedrella you have there!

I have a big pile of Spanish Cedar I'll likely be turning into both solidbody guitars (nice and light and resonant) and inner bits and pieces for acoustics; it's flatsawn, so good for laminated necks and solidbodies, but not so much for back/sides (not that pretty). Other than being a nice wood to work, and pleasantly lightweight, the smell is certainly a reason I'm going to process it into kerfed lining.

If you keep your guitars in there cases then the aroma has nowhere to go therefore keeping the smell as new. Conversley keeping the guitars out of the cases will allow the the aroma to dissipate into the air and take on the smell of its surroundings.

Much the same happens for example to a leather suite, your room smells very leathery for a while and the smell slowly dissapears. So if you want your guitars smelling woody then keep them in the cases and never play them, which kinda defeats the oblect.

Sorry to spoil the humour in the thread :D

so we should keep our leather suite in it's case? :D

Either that or if you really want to sit on it seal all the windows and doors and have some kind of air chamber, the type you see before microbiologists go into a potentially poisonous area, (as seen in many films) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this again and in response to the post that I made in April:

I ASKED THE WIFE & HERE RESPONSE WAS:

Now most of her experience is in plastic degrading and I'll admit that wood and plastics are differnt, but I'm transfering the theory across anyway. If the wood (plastic) is "off gassing" then the build up of the gas in the case would encourage the process, so you would get a stronger smeall for a shorter period. So if you want to preserve it, then open it up and enjoy it as often as possible. :D

Sorry about any spelling, rather drunk.

Edited by ToneMonkey