Les Paul Body Angle

I haven't been able to find any significant resources that show how to angle the body of a Les Paul; so that the neck is sloped at 4.5 degrees. I was wondering what the most accurate way of doing this is without tear out. I was thinking of setting up guides and hand sanding the angle with a tough grit, which would be tedious but fairly accurate... How do most people do this?

The body angle meaning the slope on the carved top from the bridge to the neck?

Some people do this with a planer, others with a router jig, others with sandpaper. Any way to make it uniform and consistent, really.

Check out Erik's tutorial PDF (caution, 600MB!) on his fanned-fret LP, where he shows the method he uses. I'd say a properly set up router jig, if I were to do it myself.

Not sure if you have drawn out your guitar full size using actual hardware you will be using for measurements. However 4.5 degrees seems awfully strong, you should double check that, else you may end up with a bridge that is set really high. I usually use a flat fretting surface and shape/ cut the back of my necks to accomodate my neck angle. I have a couple methods I use depending on whether it is neck though, Set, or Bolt on.

I think Setch had a pretty good topic on his LP. So a search for his topics, or visit his blog.

As for sanding(assuming this means hand sanding). Sanding is usually the last method I use to remove material or attempt to freehand accurately. Planes, saws, router bits with guide jigs are much prefered to me.

Good luck,

Rich

My plans I have are from guitarplansunlimited.com, based on a les paul double cut... On the drawing it says that the angle for where the neck sits upon is 4.5 degrees. What would be a safe angle for this type of guitar? What angle do they usually use for les pauls or double cuts then?

My plans I have are from guitarplansunlimited.com, based on a les paul double cut... On the drawing it says that the angle for where the neck sits upon is 4.5 degrees. What would be a safe angle for this type of guitar? What angle do they usually use for les pauls or double cuts then?

Well look the plans over and make sure your hardware is the same as shown in the drawing. I am not sure what the angle they are showing relates to. I have always wound up beween 2-3 degrees, but they may be showing something different. I figure it is better to speak up now and have you make sure all is in order, rather than wind up with a suprise.

Rich