Multiscale Baritone

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got the wenge top on and trimmed to shape

XL803844.jpg

i think its looking good now we cant see the laminations on the front - although i am loving them on the back

going to wait and see what happens with the colour but i am leaning towards a dark tint on the front only

Wez I'm doing one sorta similar, very dark overall and I'm using an ebony top (maybe 3/16"). You'd need some quartersawn wenge to get a really dark effect.

Good source: http://oregonwildwood.com/Merchant2/mercha...e=EGLamTopEbony

Those aren't very black, but i have a couple that are.

Edited by komodo

ebony was one option but its just as much about the woody feel that wenge has in spades. i did suggest mac ebony as an option but the guy didnt like it

i did try and find some darker wenge in top form but at the end of the day you cant keep spending more money and you have to make do with what you have and do the extra to make it work

+ its stuck on now :D

thx for the source though, will keep it in mind

i will have to gibve that a try. i am goint o experiment with may different methods before deciding but i am considering trying some black shellac anyway i have drawn the carve on and we are thinking about what to do with the headstock

to hot for carving bubinga and wenge at the moment

XL803853.jpg

Agreed with prostheta, When I carved my bass (nearly complete :D ) It had a Wenge back and top, tearout was very easy and the end grain was VERY hard to shape. I'd rough the shape with a big ole bastard file and get it close then use something finer from there. BTW this may be a dumb question but why is your wenge such an odd colour mine and all other wenge I have laid eyes on was like black?

i know, i did ask if anyone had some nice black stuff around but you all left me hanging!!

the wood dealers i spoke to said they had some but that it wasnt that dark.. but should darken with age. I had spent enough on wenge at this point to risk that so the finish will sort it out

i was really hoping for a dark chocolate brown to contrast nicely with the ginger of the bubinga but i am just going to have to fake it. The original idea was to cap it front and back in the wenge but since we havnt got the contrast i wanted that seemed pointless - especially having a bit of figure in the bubinga

the colours funny but the wood still has a nice ringing tap tone and thats most important

i roughly started on the neck transition today:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/new/XL803868.jpg

and i had a go at some of the bevels on the front. I started out rasping them to shape but it was a bit too subtle so i decided to try enhancing them by scraping in a recurve

subtle recurve on the bottom:

XL803859.jpg

a bit more on the top:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/new/XL803861.jpg

i think the plan will be to dig it out quite deep at the waist but blending to more subtle as it goes around