Mini Humbuckers And Noiseless Single Coils

Dudz

Hello, I was thinking of using mini humbuckers on a future build but have never used many. I was wondering if the duncan smn-1, dimarzio minibucker, gibson mini humbucker or any others. The $50-$100 range is what I'm looking at. I'm also looking for that not quite a strat and not quite a humbucker sound. You know, clear and twangy with some brightness while having a little more power and a little more full sounding. I might also go with noiseless single coils made by fender such as the sc noiseless or vintage noiseless or lace like the alumitones, california, or gold set and a lace humbucker in the bridge. I definitely don't want active pickups. Thank you.

Nobody else is biting so I thought I'd chip in...

I love the sound of the fender noiseless hot jeff beck pickups. I also am building a tele with an SCN chrome tele in the neck position and it sounds absolutely fabulicious.

Both are extremely quiet. Bill Lawrence (as in bill and becky) did some design work on these so there is another you might consider.

Can you buy mini HB's by gibson and SD for $50???? The chinese artec versions rebadged by guitarfetish but look about for options...I have a couple but not tried them...the build quality is very good however and a lot cheaper (<$20)...go crazy, put three, or four on there...go spinal tap and put on five!!! Only kidding.

One problem with the post is that you have suggested such a wide range of pickups...all very different. This is a very common type of post and easily ignored. The difference here is in this statement...

I'm also looking for that not quite a strat and not quite a humbucker sound. You know, clear and twangy with some brightness while having a little more power and a little more full sounding.

You could add a p-100 to this mix too...a humcanelling P-90...P-90's have a very distinct gritty sound of course.

My JB noiseless pickups produce this in spades...great harmonics and full sound but still very strat-ish with all those quacky inbetween sounds too. I have not got the experience of the mini HB's...perhaps they could sound a little rockabilly gretch like, maybe a bit spiky like a firebird...I imagine it has a lot to do with the guitar it is on (hollowbody vs neckthrough in these examples).

As always the choice is yours...alumitones are a bit of an unknown quantity....I get the impression they are very clear neutral sounding pickups, not particularly "full". So many choices.

So...there's my offering, hope it helps...perhaps someone here has more experience with the mini HB's...not something you here or even see too often...

pete

EDIT: see this thread also...mini HB reply

Edited by psw

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm also looking for that not quite a strat and not quite a humbucker sound. You know, clear and twangy with some brightness while having a little more power and a little more full sounding. "

It sounds like you want P-90's. :D

Sorry, just have to plug my favorite pickup type!

Aren't tone zones and virtuals humbuckers (of 2 opposite output ranges, no less)? Isn't a phat cat a single-coil p-90 like pickup in a humbucker-sized housing? Those are at odds with what you're looking for!

A p90 stack sounds about right. Similar thing to the p-100 already recommended, but made by a diff. company, that's all.

Hello, I was thinking of using mini humbuckers on a future build but have never used many. I was wondering if the duncan smn-1, dimarzio minibucker, gibson mini humbucker or any others. The $50-$100 range is what I'm looking at. I'm also looking for that not quite a strat and not quite a humbucker sound. You know, clear and twangy with some brightness while having a little more power and a little more full sounding. I might also go with noiseless single coils made by fender such as the sc noiseless or vintage noiseless or lace like the alumitones, california, or gold set and a lace humbucker in the bridge. I definitely don't want active pickups. Thank you.

I used Bill Lawrence noiseless pickups in two Strats I assembled and they sound great. Absolutely no hum or noise. I am also interested in mini humbuckers. I have a Yamaha semi hollow body with minis in it and they are great. Warmer than a strat and very clear. More output than the Bill Lawrence 280's. I'm also looking for aftermarket mini's that don't cost an arm and a leg. GFS makes mini's but I don't know how they sound. If you end up buying minis I would be interested in your opinion.

:D