24 3/4'' Scale Bolt-ons

I have to start from the beginning. About nine months ago I bought a guitar body off of ebay. I'm pretty sure the description was right. It said it was a Schecter Omen TOM/string thru made of Basswood. I threw an EMG 81/85 combo in there and stuck my favorite Squier bolt-on neck on it. I thought it sounded awesome but needed to be tuned. Lo and behold after 15 minutes of double and triple checking my tuning it still sounded out of tune. I finally figured out that the scale wasn't right. I've checked specs and the Omen is (at least now it is) a 25.5'' scale. I'm pretty sure (although I'm not sure why) that this guitar body is suppose to have a 24.75'' scale neck. The other thought I had was a question. Is there a difference between a 22 fret 25.5 and a 24 fret 25.5''(because the fender neck is 22 frets and the original neck was 24)? can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

I'm pretty sure all fretted note were sharp. For all that I have researched about guitars I know nothing of intonation. How would I adjust the bridge (TOM) if it were that. I know they have screws in the back but what would I listen for? I'll also measure scale again to see if I can come up with any clues if it's not the intonation

Measure from the break of the strings over the nut, to the 12th fret. The bridge saddles should all have that same distance, measured from the 12th fret (plus a few millimeters), within their range of adjustment. If not, it's not the right neck.

you cant possible do it by ear. you need a good tuner. then you adjust the string saddle closer or farther depending on if its sharp or flat. if its flat, you move it twards the nut.

That Squire neck probably has an over-hang at the end, and the Schecter body might have a neck pocket routed for a neck that doesn't have an over-hang.

Isn't the original guitar a 24-fret guitar? I don't recall ever seeing a 24-fret Squier....There's no way a 21-fret or 22-fret neck, with or without overhang, will work with this guitar.

So you'll have to pick up a new neck. And it looks like they're 25.5 inch scale (which will be easier to find).

check out ebay. there are so many 24 fret 25.5 scale necks for cheap. that is the most common by far. just type in jackson guitar neck, ibanez guitar neck, or any major brand. most have some that arnt brand name, but are listed as will fit those brands.

I know a guy who hates rosewood fret-boards so bad, that he bought a maple board Warmoth neck meant for a strat pocket, but he put it on his Washburn Nuno body and had some "Luthier/tech" put a filler piece in the neck pocket so the Warmoth neck would sit in the proper location in the pocket. I think that was a stupid thing to do. I have the rosewood neck from his Washburn, but it's a 22 fretter and wouldn't work on your body from what you've described.

Well, they do make one, cause I'm lookin' at one right now, it's out of the guitar I'm partin' out for my build. It's from a Washburn HM-80. So you can find them, you just gotta look hard, I was plannin' on sellin' the neck and body to a friend of mine to paint, cause he just wants to do it for fun. I'll ask him if he would be happy with just the body and if he is I'll sell ya the neck, if you want that is.

Edited by anderekel

Well, they do make one, cause I'm lookin' at one right now, it's out of the guitar I'm partin' out for my build. It's from a Washburn HM-80. So you can find them, you just gotta look hard, I was plannin' on sellin' the neck and body to a friend of mine to paint, cause he just wants to do it for fun. I'll ask him if he would be happy with just the body and if he is I'll sell ya the neck, if you want that is.

I'm interested anderekel......but I still would like to where i could get a bolt on 24.5 over the counter for a tele.

no one has really answered the op's oq.

Steve

I'm interested anderekel......but I still would like to where i could get a bolt on 24.5 over the counter for a tele.

no one has really answered the op's oq.

We answered his question, the answer was "no, that neck won't work either."

Warmoth makes a 24.5" scale conversion neck. And I know that some strat and tele copies use the shorter scale -- I had an Applause strat that was 24.5" and I have a Jackson neck here which is 24.5" and has 24 frets.

But really, a telecaster is supposed to be 25.5".