Vintage Locking Tuners How To?

Mickguard

I picked up a really nice neck, complete with vintage locking tuners --- the kind with the split top and the hole in the middle. I've never had tuners like this before, so I'm wondering what's the correct way to string them up? If there's a tutorial out there, I'd like to see it.

It looks to me like I have to cut the string to length, insert the end into the hole, pinch the string and wind -- but how many windings do I want? Or can I get away with no windings?

I'll be using a trem with the guitar, so I'll want the tuners to lock. I can replace them down the road with real lockers, but if these will work, then so much the better.

If they're just like the Gotoh 0648 they aren't locking AFAIK. String them up just like "standard" tuners, except poke the end of the string down the hole and wind 'er up. About 3-4 wraps should be plenty, methinks.

Well, they're not like the modern style locking tuners, but I thought the design was supposed to act like that anyway? Kind of a like an early version of the EZ-Loks.

Especially with the string fed down the center hole. It's what made me wonder why the strings would need to be wrapped.

I just don't like wrapped strings. To me, that's a weak spot in keeping things in tune.

I suppose I could always drill holes in the sides, turn them into EZ-loks....

The original Klusons were called Saf-T-Post. I can't remember if that referred to the slip limiting feature or if it just meant that you wouldn't poke yourself with the string end. :D

String them up like regular tuners with no more winds than absolutely necessary. Look at the pic I linked to. That's what you should shoot for.

The original Klusons were called Saf-T-Post. I can't remember if that referred to the slip limiting feature or if it just meant that you wouldn't poke yourself with the string end. :D

String them up like regular tuners with no more winds than absolutely necessary. Look at the pic I linked to. That's what you should shoot for.

The pic definitely helps clear things up.

But I was playing around with the tuners a little while ago, using bits of cutoff string... at one point, I had the end of the string in the hole, then the string wrapped twice THROUGH the gap in the top. Looks a bit like a pretzel, if you can picture it.

I really can't see that budging at all doing it that way --wouldn't require any extra windings either.

Unless doing it that way will make the string more likely to break? (don't see why it would, at least any more than the jaws of a real locking tuner would).

Anyway, I'm polishing the body tomorrow, guitar should be strung up and playable before the end of the week, so I'll figure this out soon enough...