Drill Press.

What do you think about this guys?

I can get this for about 190€/300$.

Could be a good addition to my little shop, or is it a waste of money?

thanks for any input...

08_-677648858.jpg

Type C 16AE

Drilling capacity 2-16mm

Max. spindle stroke 85mm

Drill chuck 16mm keyless

Work table dimension ø310mm

Distance spindle/table 420mm

Throat depth 194mm

Swing 360 degrees

Tilt +-45 degrees

Motor 1HP

Voltage 1x230V-50Hz

Number of speeds 12

Rpm 210-2580

Total height 1003mm

Weight 66kgs

The only thing that would concern me would be the throat depth. I had a smaller benchtop from a while back and it worked for most general purposes, but when I went to drill the post holes for my TOM bridge, it wouldn't reach and it was a standard shape guitar. Certain body shapes are way worse than others for this. I think the throat on my old one was close to yours. I went out and bought a new benchtop because I didn't have room for a standing press, I got a 12" Delta that works well for my needs and will reach any bridge post I need. I got it pretty cheap also, look around more see what you can find before committing to that one. If you can fit a standing drill press, definitely save and go for that. Best of luck. J

Looks like a good machine. Plug it in, check it runs smoothly (no vibration), check the quill for runout (chuck a long, thin bit in there, see if it runs true or vibrates/moves a lot) and wobble when plunged. Eyeballing it, I'm guessing that has something like 6" throat depth, which should be enough for pretty much all guitar work.

But is that actually the throat depth, or the swing. Drill press sizes are typically listed in terms of their "swing" which is twice the throat depth. I ask partly because it looks like a benchtop model, and you don't often see those with that much throat depth.

Also, I don't know how machinery prices are over there, but I just bought a brand new 15" floor standing drill press for $300, so that doesn't sound like such a great deal to me.

Orgmorg, according to the manufacturers brochure it is the throat depth that is 7,5" (approx).

Usually prices over here are insanlely much more expensive than anywhere else.. hehe..

I'd order one from the states if it were not for the power differences we have.

But we will see, I'm not going to ruin myself getting this one, so... :D

Thanks a lot tho.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
But is that actually the throat depth, or the swing. Drill press sizes are typically listed in terms of their "swing" which is twice the throat depth. I ask partly because it looks like a benchtop model, and you don't often see those with that much throat depth.

Also, I don't know how machinery prices are over there, but I just bought a brand new 15" floor standing drill press for $300, so that doesn't sound like such a great deal to me.

Seriously, that looks like a 16" press to me, pretty much identical to the one I just got (new, 300, chinese, but runs smooth, quiet, true and stable, so no complaining). Comparitive shot with a real 'benchtop' model:

kolomboor2.jpg

I mean, they both sit on benches, but the new one can drill string trough ferrules. On the far side of the body. Across the full width of an average strat or similar. Good bit bigger than it looks in a picture with precious little frame of reference.