Another "my First Acoustic Build"

so i have made a decent amount of progress in the past week or so, but most of it was mental progress because i had alot of dilemas i had to sort out. But anyhow, i got the dovetail routed into the body using a jig i thought up and that i am quite proud of.. If anyone is interested ill post some pics, and if anyone is looking to do the same thing, i could write up a quick tutorial for my jig. Ill get some pics up of my progress once i have the neck sitting in the body.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i have made a decent amount of progress in the past week or so, but most of it was mental progress because i had alot of dilemas i had to sort out. But anyhow, i got the dovetail routed into the body using a jig i thought up and that i am quite proud of.. If anyone is interested ill post some pics, and if anyone is looking to do the same thing, i could write up a quick tutorial for my jig. Ill get some pics up of my progress once i have the neck sitting in the body.

Finish the fit up on the dovetail, and take pics along the way. Then you could do a full photo tut. That would probably be more helpful to people who may use it.

Personally, I am with Mattia on the bolt on. I have no interest in doing any other form of joint other than bolt on. It just has so much flexability during fit up, ease of reset(which I really believe is less damaging to the instrument when that reset occurs). Plus I have seen nothing that tells me there is any loss in function. I suppose glueing a dovetail is a little cheaper(no hardware), but the little extra cost seems well worth it(especially for the owner of that instrument come reset time). How many low value(but decent sounding)guitars hit the dumpster because a reset is too expensive to justify. How many people put off a reset for as long as possible and play a poorly functioning insrument because resets are a little ruff on guitars as well as costly.

Rich

yeah, i was juggling whether to do bolt on or dovetail, and the main reason i went with dovetail was because that was my plan from the start, and i didnt wanna switch it up midway. I didnt even know about acoustic bolt ons until a few weeks ago. Im sure future guitars will be bolt ons, but now i have dovetail joints under my belt which if nothing else... is a personal accomplishment

Those are standard wood threaded inserts - you drive them in with a hex driver, and the inside is threaded to the requisite metric thread. You can get them from places like:

http://www.insertsdirect.com/showStyles.asp?prodid=228875

http://www.nutty.com/cgi-bin/Shopper.exe?p...key=0000-EZW440 <-- sells in smaller quantities

http://www.rtlfasteners.com/RC/q.html <-- not hex headed, slot headed instead

Neck_GAB1_14.jpg

So where do you guys buy your bolting hardware? What are those things called and where can I get some?

Daniel,

So you grind all that out for neck fitting, but what about down near the heel cap. Have you not glued your heelcap on yet?

Mike

That's my neck, not Daniel's; I grind it away so only the cheeks need to fit the curved headblock (don't like flat areas anywhere on my guitar other than the headstock face, pretty much, and certainly not the heel and butt), and yes, that's before fitting the heel cap. That comes after pre-fitting the neck.

I get some of my inserts down at the local hardware store, and I ordered a bunch from Lee Valley a while back, mostly because they had pretty bolts...

• 1 month later...

So its been a while, but i have been making good progress with the help of everyone answering my questions here on projectguitar. Here is the guitar ready to be finish sanded and finish applied.. I am still on the fence as to what finish to use, I want something kinda natural wood looking.. but at the same time i work in a body shop, so spraying a clearcoat is second nature to me. anyway here it is..

assembled1.jpg

assembled3.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How does it sound?

Gonna try to redo the braces?

Ive been waiting for the humidity to fall to start doing mine again, and I think I am going for a drill press plane to plane my woods, my molds are still held up,but the wood is all cut, and they only take a few hours to build.

I am doing 4 sets of sides, tops etc, I really want to crank this out. I have some martin 2nd necks/fretboards, so that cuts the time, all "I have to do is a few boxes"! If they sound like crap I will try to take them apart and redo, instead of building more. Go go go...!!

Edited by Rick500
Moved post here from another topic