A Must See Quilted Maple Auction

fryovanni

This auction just ended. A great piece of Maple for sure, not fully dry but nice. The price blows my mind.

link to the auction

Here are a couple recent ones frome this seller-

link

link

and looks like a fresh billet just went up from the same seller-link

This is an awsome wood dealer. Solid descriptions, good wood. I am just blown away at how high a price some people will pay for a piece of quilted Maple(even if it is slicker than snot).

Edited by fryovanni

This auction just ended. A great piece of Maple for sure, not fully dry but nice. The price blows my mind.

link to the auction

Here are a couple recent ones frome this seller-

link

link

and looks like a fresh billet just went up from the same seller-link

This is an awsome wood dealer. Solid descriptions, good wood. I am just blown away at how high a price some people will pay for a piece of quilted Maple(even if it is slicker than snot).

I think the buyer might be the owner of Grizzly. He seems to really like quilted maple. Just a CRAZY guess!!! Otherwise who knows who would pay that for that piece. I have some that I believe is better than that? Sure would like to find MikeyMike, I sure would like to sell it for that kind of $ per board feet and my piece is much larger :D

MK

BTW: Why do Elephants have 4 feet? answer: because 6inches is to short :D

who the heck would pay over 1k for a piece of quilted maple that small? sure its a nice piece, but its not like its a whole tree worth or something. thats just wrong.

It's not wrong at all. Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Ebay shows that principle more than most as it lets buyers determine the price rather than the supplier.

6/7 drop tops out of that by a pro luthier (probably slightly less than that but hey), charge $200 upcharge on the guitar because of the lovely figure, and you've made the money back on the lumber straight off.

To be fair though you couldn't understand why Karl Holtey planes sell for more than $200. :D:D

i still dont think its right. and how could the builder make his money back by charging 200 extra, when it went for over 1k?

and i still think the planes are a rip off.

You assume it is for instruments, it may not be. The thing I find oddest about the auction was that the dealer(who is great BTW) had sold equivelant pieces similar in size or greater for high, but no where near that price, and has another billet up this week. He is starting them at $199 which is reasonable(even if the auctions are finishing typically between $350-$1000+) so he is certainly keeping the asking price in line and allowing the market to speak.

Either way... That auction was really something. I sure hope that wood doesn't twist or crack too much as it finishes drying(probably has another year to go before it is 12-14%).

i still dont think its right. and how could the builder make his money back by charging 200 extra, when it went for over 1k?

Because he obviously will get more than one top out of this, so it'll be $200 x the number of tops he cuts. Besides, this probably isn't a guitar builder buying this.

How much do you sell your guitars for? I seem to remember you talking about doing that in your last couple of threads...

• 4 weeks later...
Either way... That auction was really something. I sure hope that wood doesn't twist or crack too much as it finishes drying(probably has another year to go before it is 12-14%).

There is another piece of the amazing stuff going right now, its a cleaner piece, but maybe not as deep as that other one, extremely close though and as I said the back looked cleaner. It was around $610 when I looked and will probably get right back up where that other one was.

A question that came to mind when you posted Rich, it seems as though much of this sellers pieces are sold at 3/4 way dry or at least of what I have seen. I have had these guys along with another 4 or 5 places on EBay marked for a few years now. I'm curious of what benefits and cons would they run by selling at 3/4 dry? It would seem if they based any of the price off weight, they could make more money, but I doubt thats how they go about it. So, why? Would there be any benefit for the customer in terms of aclimation of the wood, do you run any less risk, by getting the piece shipped before its completely dry?

Obviously, as you said, a piece that is not dry runs the risk of twisting or cracking as it finishes drying, especially all the figured and burled stuff they sell. The buyer will also pay more in shipping with a 3/4 dry piece, so it just sounds like fully dry would be the preferred to sell these pieces at this point for both the business and consumer? The only thing in my mind that would outweigh those reasons, is if you run less of a chance in having problems aclimating the wood during and after shipping. By that I mean if you shipped from an extreme to extreme weather condition, do you run less of a risk if the wood wasn't fully dried yet or does it not matter? Just curious. Either way that place sells some amazing looking stuff that always has me tempted, if I didn't have any local places to look, I'd probably gone broke by now. J

Because he obviously will get more than one top out of this, so it'll be $200 x the number of tops he cuts. Besides, this probably isn't a guitar builder buying this.

How much do you sell your guitars for? I seem to remember you talking about doing that in your last couple of threads...

i never saw this until just now. i sell my guitars for the price of me losing 200 bucks, thats how much.

naw,

well, it depends. i have never sold a guitar for even close to a medium quality import guitar. the most ive ever sold one for was 400.

i have had multiple people contact me thru youtube because of my videos, and wanted me to build them a guitar.

one was willing to pay 850, but things went wrong. 1, we were about to make the transaction, and i mentioned if he wanted a bubinga top ( it was a KL Metallica replica) and he had no idea what that was.

then after he found out that that the originals had that, he diddnt want it without it. really, i only mentioned it because i diddnt think hed want it.

well i dont have any way of putting a top on or a veneer. so he bailed on the transaction.

another happened where the guy wanted a white esp lawsiut explorer, and he diddnt tell me he was from Oz until he was about to pay. then i told him how much it would cost to ship, and he bailed also.

really though, i usually lose a couple hundred in the end on each guitar. im paying to sell guitars. it sucks. ive lost 1k in the last couple of months, and i have 1 guitar and a box of parts to show for it. its crap i tell you!

i never saw this until just now. i sell my guitars for the price of me losing 200 bucks, thats how much.

naw,

well, it depends. i have never sold a guitar for even close to a medium quality import guitar. the most ive ever sold one for was 400.

Its amazing how far some people will go just to build a guitar for someone. Every single one of those $400 guitars will haunt you in the future.

I saw that $1000 piece of wood in the first post, and immediately knew i could sell it for $2400 or more as upgrades. At $1000 it was a good buy.

naw,

Its amazing how far some people will go just to build a guitar for someone. Every single one of those $400 guitars will haunt you in the future.

I saw that $1000 piece of wood in the first post, and immediately knew i could sell it for $2400 or more as upgrades. At $1000 it was a good buy.

Well, Perry I am sure with your reputation a premium model will command a fair bit for premium upgrades. However, that is not a "good" buy. I actually have some of the quilt from that log. It is nice fist sized quilt with good strength and the color is nice and white. However.... I was at Gilmer yesterday looking through some of their stock and they have several $300-$400 dollar billets that blow the socks off the billet in that auction(even if the ones up for auction were fully dry as Gilmers are). Gilmer certainly asks full retail market value for their premium stock, and it is less than half the price of the auction price. I am not sure why the person is buying that stock for those prices, but I am sure they are not up to speed on current market prices. The fact that they are buying partially dry stock at such a premium over full premium retail leads me to suspect they are not too sharp with valuation or understanding wood drying.

Just my take,

Rich

Hot damn. It doesn't grow on trees y'know!

I also am truly shocked at the price. If it were dry, and the stock had stability built into the price then perhaps (but unlikely). There are pieces out there way below market value (i've sniped a couple) and this is just a ridiculous example of the opposite. It's not likely the buyer has laid hands on it, seen the figure move when scraped/wetted or anything.

Nah - I don't believe it. I've seen better and it's probably an example of someone with too much money and perhaps too much imagination and not enough grounding in reality. Buying supposed premium dollar wood via distance selling is fraught with pitfalls enough to say the least, never mind super-premium-dollar-green-wood.

I should email the buyer and see if he'd be up for buying some of the purlins in our roof for a few thousand a pop, or perhaps some of the birch trees we have growing around here in abundance.

Well, Perry I am sure with your reputation a premium model will command a fair bit for premium upgrades. However, that is not a "good" buy. I actually have some of the quilt from that log. It is nice fist sized quilt with good strength and the color is nice and white. However.... I was at Gilmer yesterday looking through some of their stock and they have several $300-$400 dollar billets that blow the socks off the billet in that auction(even if the ones up for auction were fully dry as Gilmers are). Gilmer certainly asks full retail market value for their premium stock, and it is less than half the price of the auction price. I am not sure why the person is buying that stock for those prices, but I am sure they are not up to speed on current market prices. The fact that they are buying partially dry stock at such a premium over full premium retail leads me to suspect they are not too sharp with valuation or understanding wood drying.

Just my take,

Rich

Do you mind PMing me the web page they are listed on? I cant see anything that is 13" wide and will do a single piece top. I do see three pieces on the first maple billet page, but none that match the look... they are what i call messy. Maybe they arent listed up yet? Did you actually go in there to their shop? Whats it like?

and why is that? you always have to bring me down.

If you cant sell the finished guitars for the cost of parts, there just MUST be something wrong with them. Right? If they are perfect for $400, why arent you so busy you dont know how to keep up? Maybe you dont know where to sell them? Maybe you're trying to sell them to the wrong crowd... people who dont have the money.

Always bringing you down? Maybe you mean bring you back to reality? I dont even know you mate, you're just the dude who copies my designs, and cant wait to post up my details of my new builds. :D Here is some love to make you feel all rosey icon12.gificon12.gificon12.gif

Because in the future you will realize those guitars that you have to give away are not up to standards and you will have a bunch of instruments going around with your name on them that are less than ideal to say the least.

If someone is not willing to pay premium prices for a custom guitar maybe that builder shouldn't be selling.

Because in the future you will realize those guitars that you have to give away are not up to standards and you will have a bunch of instruments going around with your name on them that are less than ideal to say the least.

If someone is not willing to pay premium prices for a custom guitar maybe that builder shouldn't be selling.

Someone nominate this guy for president! Right on.

I just took an order for a guitar worth $4800. Its not a hard guitar to build, but will look nice. All i can think about is, that I'm not charging enough, and it should have been $6000+ Afterall, these ARE instruments that will last the entire owners life, plus some, if cared for.

Just my take,

Rich

Do you mind PMing me the web page they are listed on? I cant see anything that is 13" wide and will do a single piece top. I do see three pieces on the first maple billet page, but none that match the look... they are what i call messy. Maybe they arent listed up yet? Did you actually go in there to their shop? Whats it like?

Perry,

That billet that sold for over 1K was 13" wide on the back with live edges, you would get closer to 10" full thickness. Not really a full one piece, but a big billet for sure. The billets at Gilmer were two piece billets. I would have to look around and see if I recognised the billets on Gilmers web site(not sure if they were even listed yet). I was down at Gilmers yesterday, and they were packing up a bunch of good stuff for the GAL convention(they were grabbing the best of the best off the shelves). What you see on their site is a tiny amount of wood compaired to what they have in that building, and then they have more stored in another location(you should tell Marc what you want and he can find just what you need if they have it and it is dry). Anyhow, the bits I was looking at on the rack had figure that looked harder, bolder, smaller(finger size rolls vs fist size rolls, and just looked deeper, I think you know just what I am talking about). Another place here that has an even larger and more impressive selection of maples is NW Timber down in Jefferson. They have some strangeness in their pricing, but they have a very very large stock, and select bits are about as good as you will ever find. The maples around hear that display quilt can vary a lot. What they call Coastal Maple often has figure, but the figure is not the same strength usually(grain feels different also), but it can be had for $3-$5 bd.ft. Mixed up soft maples can be had for $10-12bd. ft. The strongest brightest Bigleaf around here though will start closer to $25 and go up to the high $200bd. ft.(that is a $400 billet), but I have NEVER seen numbers approching $400 bd.ft.(I mean great for them for geting the $$$, but I have just never seen those numbers around here).

Peace,Rich

Just my take,

Rich

If you cant sell the finished guitars for the cost of parts, there just MUST be something wrong with them. Right? If they are perfect for $400, why arent you so busy you dont know how to keep up? Maybe you dont know where to sell them? Maybe you're trying to sell them to the wrong crowd... people who dont have the money.

Always bringing you down? Maybe you mean bring you back to reality? I dont even know you mate, you're just the dude who copies my designs, and cant wait to post up my details of my new builds. :D Here is some love to make you feel all rosey icon12.gificon12.gificon12.gif

Uh, no. thats pretty messed up. how would you know if there is something wrong with them or not? there has never ever been anything wrong with them. you always complain about anything anybody ever gets from you at all. then you contradict yourself and say that info and techniques should be shared for everyone. the only place i can sell guitars is on ebay, and people are there for deals, not custom guitars. and back to reality? how is that bringing me back to reality. you only have negative things to say, and i was never away from reality. when did i ever ask to see progress on your builds? i havnt. but my guitars do NOT have anything wrong with them. i have taken them into guitar stores and people loved them over any guitar there. but yet they still dont want them because its not name brand. my guitars may not be as good as yours, but they are still better than 90% of production guitars. so back off.

how would you guys ever even know? you have never handled one of my guitars. i know they are worth more than what ive sold them for. and the people were more than happy.

If someone is not willing to pay premium prices for a custom guitar maybe that builder shouldn't be selling

and thats a really stupid thing to say. maybe where your from people have a lot of money. no one here does, so how would i sell a guitar to a state of people who as a group have one of lowest income? just because someone doesnt want to pay over 3k for my guitars, doesnt mean i shouldnt sell them.

i really hate you guys sometimes. you jump to conclusions way too fast EVERY FRICKEN time i ever say one thing about my personal experiences. and if your so right, then why do you even care? it has nothing to do with you, so just stay out of it. i know what i can do, and what things go for. but the thing is, why buy from a no name builder for a couple thousand, when they can get a name brand custom for not much more? that is the point im making, and why i cant sell my guitars for more.

Killemall8, don't sweet it man...my builder under sales his stuff all the time.He does it for the love of the instrument and music.I would put him against anyone in here,in knowledge and ability.I bought three amps and a guitar from him,his stuff is ahead of its time.Hell Baker sells his stuff for 6 to 8 thousand,and he is pretty well known.To be fare,most top builders don't post on forums.The way it seems to work ,is the more you ask for something,more people seem to want it.I would guess that most buyers could not tell you why a 6 to 8 thousand dollar guitar is worth what it cost.They just know it cost a lot so it is good.Perry, I really like your builds,but being a little humble,can be a good thing.Every one that reads these post could be a potential customer.Just saying.

Uh, no. thats pretty messed up. how would you know if there is something wrong with them or not?

Here we go... again

Im not going to argue with you. Its pointless. If you would like me to point out the mistakes i can see from your small build photos, im more than happy to. If i can see them in small photos, im sure there are things I cant see.