Gibson Scale

I have just received my LP Deluxe template from guitarbuildingtemplate and i'm about to start making sawdust.

I was reviewing measurement before actually starting the build(I messed one build up by not planning everything before starting... I don't want it to happen on this one....) Ron @ guitar building template told me this template set has a 24,75 scale. How do you measure the scale with a tune o matic. I have read 24,75, some other place say that 24,75" is in reality 24,625"... And stewmac sells 24 9/16" fingerboard... I have sure it has been explained before, I just couldn't find the answer....

Hi,

Do you mean how do you accurately place the tunomatic on the body to determine correct scale length?

If so, there's a nice explanation on stewmac's site:

http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

Please note you MUST enter the number of frets and scale length you intend to use, then hit "Calculate". When you do that, the page refreshes with extra info lower down which gives you the exact placement distances from the nut for various styles of bridge, tunomatics included. Normally the bass side of the tunomatic is slightly further from the nut than the treble side, but this compensation is detailed on the page.

Hope this helps!

DJ

Your measurements are going to depend on the fingerboard you use -- Gibson scale does indeed cover several measurements, since Gibson changed their scale several times over the decades (and the different owners). Different places sell different scales (LMII, for example, sells the 'vintage' Gibson scale, which was actually originally measured in millimeters...628mm to be exact).

After you've measured your fretboard, you'll be able to plug the number into StewMac's calculator to determine the placement of the TOM. This is part of the reason why many of us will often suggest gathering ALL of your parts first before starting the build.

the thing is i'm trying to figure out what scale was used with the templates. Ron already told me that it was 24.750" BUT when i measure the centerline from the side of the nut to the center treble post of the bridge, i have 25".....

I know that there must be something i don't understand correctly.

also, does anyone have the missing drawing shown in this topic?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5188

I think the safest way to figure out what scale was used would be to measure from the nut (side facing the bridge) to the 12th fret and multiply by two.

The position of the ABR post will allow some variation because you alway have the saddle travel to compensate with. Personally I wouldn't use a template to locate the bridge, I would measure from the nut with the neck in it's pocket, and use the value from SMD's fret calculator as a guide. But that's me...

the thing is i'm trying to figure out what scale was used with the templates. Ron already told me that it was 24.750" BUT when i measure the centerline from the side of the nut to the center treble post of the bridge, i have 25".....

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5188

What you need to do is build the body, build the neck, route the neck pocket.

Once you have the EXACT neck (and fretboard) properly in place, you'll be able to locate your bridge position. You'll still be able to use the templates, but you'll place them in accordance to your project.

It's really the only way. Even with a Fender-scale project, where there's less variation in scale length, there are still variations (22 fret vs 21 fret, overhang or no, etc.) that need to be taken into account.

The scale measurement is to the saddle, by the way, not the center of the post. That's Stewmac's measurement, but it's only accurate if you use the exact parts they're referring too. (In which case, it's extremely accurate.)