Manual Fret Slotting Jig

GREGMW

Hi,

I was just curious (and after some ideas) of what type of manual jigs you guys use for slotting fretboards?

I just picked up a handsaw and now want to make up some kind of jig or mitre box.

TIA

Thanks Mattia for your reply.

I have a Stewmac hand saw,Scale rule and I made up a (timber) 90 deg mitre box but I kind of feel that I should have got the Stewmac box.

I'm a sucker for punishment, so I use a steel edge, mechanical pencil, razor saw, file and finally my fret saw. Sounds overkill, but I draw in the fretlines, cut along the side of a steel ruler or straightedge with the razor saw for accuracy, create a slight bevel in the cut with a triangular file and then make the final cut with the straightedge and fretsaw. I find that going straight from pencil to fret saw can cause wander. The razor saw is awesome.

I gt tired of feeling like I was going to have a heart attack every time I tried to cut the slots in a piece of ebony so I got the table saw blade from stewmac and set up a shoot for the table. You can pick up a cost effective B&D Firestorm table saw at lows for around $80.00. I got one and now it's a dedicated slotter.