Explorer Body Specs/template

Hey guys,

I did a lot of searching on the net and this forum and couldn't really find what I'm looking for. I am trying to find a template or even just some measurements or *something* for a custom Explorer build. I'm looking for Gibson spec, I'm not sure if the Epiphone specs are smaller/thinner or anything plus the guitar I'm trying to "copy" is based off of Gibson specs. I tried getting ahold of Warmoth to get them to release the measurements they use for both the Explorer body and for the Kenneth Lawrence headstock, but no dice, which I understand completely but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, haha.

So if anyone knows where I can find anything regarding dimensions or, if I'm lucky, a template that I can print, please let me know. My searches have turned up fruitless so far except plans that I can buy for $58, which I might have to consider but I'm hoping for free plans. Can you blame me? :D

~006

Edited by 6

Funny, I've just started making an Explorer shape as well!

I also got nowhere trying to get a free template, so I just took a really good front-on view photo of what I wanted from the internet and drew a template myself. I scaled it up by measuring known distances, like pickup size or neck width or whatever, worked out the ratio (in my case it 1:3.6), then to make life easier for myself I printed out a speadsheet containing the scale conversion formula. I got a LARGE sheet of paper, drew a centreline, and drew it all out. I measured angles with a protractor. Obviously this isn't going to be an EXACT replica of a real Explorer, but that's not what I want, I want MY version of it, so I changed little bits here and there on the template. I'm really happy with it! I then made a plywood template based on it. The neck pocket, pickup routes etc will only be marked once I've made the neck.

Just another idea..... :D

DJ

Funny, I've just started making an Explorer shape as well!

I also got nowhere trying to get a free template, so I just took a really good front-on view photo of what I wanted from the internet and drew a template myself. I scaled it up by measuring known distances, like pickup size or neck width or whatever, worked out the ratio (in my case it 1:3.6), then to make life easier for myself I printed out a speadsheet containing the scale conversion formula. I got a LARGE sheet of paper, drew a centreline, and drew it all out. I measured angles with a protractor. Obviously this isn't going to be an EXACT replica of a real Explorer, but that's not what I want, I want MY version of it, so I changed little bits here and there on the template. I'm really happy with it! I then made a plywood template based on it. The neck pocket, pickup routes etc will only be marked once I've made the neck.

Just another idea..... :D

DJ

That's how I do mine. I draw them in photoshop or use a picture and then blow it up until the neck width is correct at the heel. This brings it all into ratio. I then print it cut it out and then transfer it to template board. I've made several templates like that

However, for this build, if yu want Gibby then I'd shell out the $60.00 to save time and get the templates here

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/58Explorer.htm

Edited by zyonsdream