Wood Selection Advice

I'm planning on making a guitar, but as my title suggested, I'm a little confused as to which woods I should use in order to attain the tone I'm after. Basically I want a really really "Heavy" sound that's good for Doom/ Stoner Metal. I'm thinking maybe a mahogany body and neck with an ebony fretboard. I'm also thinking about a spalted maple topwood because they look unbelievably sick and maybe instead of ebony a coco fretboard because they look awesome too. However, if either of these woods screws up my tone I won't do it, so help me, am I making the right choices?

By Coco, I mean whatever wood this guy's using. If it's not called coco what is it? http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=35474

Edited by Efilnickufesin

There's a lot more to getting the tone you want than just what wood you choose. The fretboard you linked to is cocobolo. Nice wood, but I think it may be pretty toxic to work with, or at least a lot of people are allergic to it when they sand it.

Some questions though. Have you built a guitar before? Do you have a lot of woodworking experience? Are you going to buy component parts, ie) body, neck ... and put them together, or are you planning to try building from scratch. If you're going to try from scratch, you need to rethink this. I'm not bad at wood working, but I'm not going to try and work with spalted maple any time soon. Quilted chips/tears easily enough without being rotten!

Don't want to discourage you, just think you need to tell us a touch more detail.

Regards,

Todd

Well, no, I am kind of a novice, but I'm probably going to be working with my dad's friend who's a carpenter who has built guitars before, so I'll have help. I'll have to look into the cocobolo though, obviously if I'm allergic I can't use it. I'm planning on making a bolt on neck with a body similar to an Ibanez double cut away artist. Thanks for the advice, I probably will end up going a much simpler route, this is just my ideal set up.

I think that if you want to build your own guitar, you should go for it!

Do some good research, and just dive into it, and you will learn a lot, make some mistakes that you will learn from, and in the end, you will have a guitar that you can be really proud of. Then after a while you will build another one.. :D

Just keep in mind that your first guitar will most likely not be perfect. I have only built one so far, but it is quite playable, and it sounds fairly good.

Just have a lot of patience, and be accurate!

I say go for it, you will have tons of fun!

The choices you mentioned; mahogany, maple top and ebony board are pretty common wood combination choice. The debate will rage on forever about guitar tone and you'll eventually make your own decision on what works for you. With the choices you have suggested you should have no problem getting a tone akin to what you are looking for.

Most stoner rock is usually tuned down so scale length should be more of a concern for you. I'd suggest at least a 25.5" scale. Also, pickups will pay a big part in the overall tone you get when it's done. It all depends on if you are looking for "sludge" for tone or if you want a crisp tone with definition

I think that if you want to build your own guitar, you should go for it!

Do some good research, and just dive into it, and you will learn a lot, make some mistakes that you will learn from, and in the end, you will have a guitar that you can be really proud of. Then after a while you will build another one.. :D

Just keep in mind that your first guitar will most likely not be perfect. I have only built one so far, but it is quite playable, and it sounds fairly good.

Just have a lot of patience, and be accurate!

I say go for it, you will have tons of fun!

Thanks man, I will

Most stoner rock is usually tuned down so scale length should be more of a concern for you. I'd suggest at least a 25.5" scale. Also, pickups will pay a big part in the overall tone you get when it's done. It all depends on if you are looking for "sludge" for tone or if you want a crisp tone with definition

Thanks, that's good to know, I've been wondering about scale length

I didn't want to discourage you from trying to build what you want. I actually think your choice is quite workable, and having an experienced carpenter to teach you how to plane/joint/glue etc will help a lot. Do some reading in the tutorial section and maybe get Melvin's book, you'll have a blast!

The only thing I "wood" avoid is trying to put a spalted top on your first guitar unless your "advisor" has experience with it. You could do it, but I think it'd be really hard for a first guitar. And if you decide to work with irritating hardwoods, make sure you wear a dust mask and do all your sanding using a dust collector or outside. You don't want cocobolo dust in your home :D

Regards,

Todd

"That sort of stuff is very personal though and everyone is different."

Yeah, some guys here even like pointy guitars :D

Edited by ToddW

As for scale, I would ask yourself what tuning you will be playing in most often. D tuning is not a big deal on a 25.5" scale with some 11 or 12 gauge strings. But it will depend on the feel that you like. A lot of people find tuning to drop C or standard C on a 25.5" scale gets too loose of a string action even with heavier gauge strings and you may want to step up to a 27" scale. Decide on your main tuning and favorite string gauge and go from there. Go to a store and try playing some baritone scale guitars to see what you think of them.

This is why I love building guitars, so many combinations with the slightest change making a big change in tone. Strings, scale length! All fun stuff to think about. A spalted top for a first build is a challenge but it really depends on how spalted it is. An extreme spalt can be a bugger to work with.

...and yes, some people even like pointy guitars :D

BTW, I've never experienced any reaction to cocobolo (and a dusk mask is no existent in my shop-no flaming please)but lacewood really bugs the crap out of my sinuses! Only thing I've noticed about cocobolo is the fact that it smells fishy after a while.

honestly, since this is your first build, i really highly doubt you are going to notice the difference in sound from different woods. that is my neck in that pic, i decided to make a soloist instead with it, check out the in progress threads again to see it on a finished guitar. i dont feel anything at all with cocobolo, it doesnt bother me at all. the only thing that bothers me is tropical walnut (havnt tried black walnut, so i dont know about that), but dang! that stuff makes you feel like you light a match in your sinuses!

Its funny how people can be allergic to one thing and not another. What little work I've done with Cocobolo has not bothered me, though it has been minimal work. The wood that has bothered me most is strangely Bubinga. I don't know that I've heard anyone complain about that wood, which is why it seems strange to me. If I sand a bit and any of the dust gets on my skin, it immediately turns into a bunch of small blisters, even when I use gloves I end up with quite a few of them. It blows my mind how fast it occurs, so far it hasn't caused my asthma to kick up, though it does bother my nose some. I wear a mask, but I find it to be quite fine dust, so I end up getting dosed with it when working in the garage. I think its only the dust that bothers me, in other words, I think a bare fretboard would be fine, but I plan on putting something on the fretboard. Other than that nothing else has bugged me much, other than say the splinters from purpleheart, somehow it always finds a way to get me. J

my experience is that it is the same as just about any other ebony out there (except for the fact that it usually has a grain pattern similar to Brazilian Rosewood. It's isn't super hard to work with if you take your time and use the right tools (just like most other ebony woods)

Similar to other Ebonies as far as sanding. Less brittle than African Ebony. Bends easier than African. Takes a heck of a high polish. Color varies, often more striped in appearance(dark browns, cream, to black), as opposed to a "blotchy" coloration from black african ebony. Nice wood.

It's funny that cocobolo has the rep of being a bad allergen/sensitizer but no one here is bothered by it. I know that either bubinga or purple heart makes my nose run and I sneeze a lot from it, but I can't say which of the two does it because I'm sanding a laminated piece. Doesn't happen if I use the dust collector and wear a mask, or even if I just use a mask.

You might want to buy a pre slotted and radiused fretboard. I just ordered two from Erik, and I have a fret saw and stewmacs fret ruler thing. I just figure I'm more likely to mess that part up than anything else on the guitar.

Todd

Most wood dust will make your nose run. That doesn't mean you have an allergy to it. It's the body's natural way of getting it out of your sinuses. Regular ol' maple will make my nose run like it stole something. I look for rashes, constricted breathing, dizziness, drastically sore throat, things like that.

Most wood dust will make your nose run. That doesn't mean you have an allergy to it. It's the body's natural way of getting it out of your sinuses. Regular ol' maple will make my nose run like it stole something. I look for rashes, constricted breathing, dizziness, drastically sore throat, things like that.

It's all relative Zyonsdream. Maple dust makes my nose run too, but this laminate is orders of magnitude greater. It also makes my arms itch but only if I'm sweaty and not using the DC. I've taken to showering right after I sand this guitar for a while. Since I'm moderately atopic, if it doesn't make me wheeze, and I'm not getting a rash, I figure bfg and I'll just be careful.

We're way off topic now, but are you in a medical field? Just curious since you're listing symptoms to look for.

Todd

I'm not but my mother is in the medical field and she suffers from environmental allergies so I’ve become accustomed to the things to look for when suffering from a severe allergy. By no means should anyone take what I have to say on the topic as fact. Heck, I’m the guy who never wears a mask or glasses! I’m never going to be one to teach a course in health and safety.

You might want to buy a pre slotted and radiused fretboard. I just ordered two from Erik, and I have a fret saw and stewmacs fret ruler thing. I just figure I'm more likely to mess that part up than anything else on the guitar.

Todd

Thanks, I am planning on getting a pre-slotted fretboard. As for the allergy thing, does it affect you after the guitar is built or only in the process? In other words, if you're allergic to Chocobolo or Purple heart and you're playing a finished guitar with one of those woods will you start becoming agitated? Also, who's Erik?

Edited by Efilnickufesin

This thread should help you find Erik:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...mp;#entry372389

As to allergies, it is unlikely you will be allergic to the guitar once it is done. Very unlikely.

It's the dust that you need to watch out for. So while it isn't impossible to be allergic to an "unfinished" cocobolo fingerboard, I've never seen it or heard of it.

Just be careful to limit your exposure to the dust as much as possible and it probably won't be an issue.

-Todd

And one more thing about allergies, don't forget you can't be allergic the first time you are exposed. It takes at least the second time before you have symptoms. And some people don't have problems for a long time, so always watch out and protect yourself (do as I say, not as I do)

• 1 month later...
I would recommend basswood with a maple top. I've seen a lot of metal-head guitars and basses built from basswood. It is light, cheap and easy to finish. It also has excellent sustain and tone for a light wood. (so it won't break your back while you melt faces!!!)

I disagree. For doom metal, you need a big heavy guitar!

@ Efilnickufesin- I definitely think you were on the right track with the mahogany. Big, heavy, chunky tone.

I'm really into Sleep and Yob and bands like that... right now I'm working on something similar to a les paul double cut and I'm using spalted maple for part of the top. It's been easy to work with thusfar, although I hear the finishing stage is a little bit more difficult. I suppose I'll just figure that out when I get to it!

One idea for a fretboard that's not widely known is Bloodwood. I picked up a couple of blanks that I'm trying out on the axe I just mentioned. It looks cool and the name is so metal, I couldnt resist :D

I just figured out your user name, by the way. :D