Hh 5 Way Switching Question

thebuch

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a schematic for the following wiring that I'd like to do:

2 humbucker

2 volume

1 tone

super 5 way switch (bridge humbucker, outer coils parallel, both humbuckers, inner coils parallel, neck humbucker)

The problem is I can find schematics for one volume control, not two. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance.

2 humbucker

2 volume

1 tone

super 5 way switch (bridge humbucker, outer coils parallel, both humbuckers, inner coils parallel, neck humbucker)

The problem is I can find schematics for one volume control, not two. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance.

i've designed several H/H and H/S/H superswitch wiring schemes with all sorts of coil-cut combinations. i doubt you'll find a schematic anywhere because few companies make them for these kinds of combinations--i get several emails a month from people asking for mine.

your suspicions of whether it's even possible are well-founded. the problem is that many of the different coil-cut combinations in a scheme like this use different wires going to the hot output of the switch in different selector positions. dual volume controls are usually wired by having the pickup hot wire go to the volume pot first, then to the switch. but if you've got two or even three different wires from the same pickup that are hot in different switch positions, you can't send them all to the same volume pot, and you can have three volume pots. :D

so the only way i can think of to approach it would be to design the wiring scheme to gang as many of the hot wires from the same pickup together as possible onto the same switch pole, then run that pole's output wire as hot to the volume pot for that pickup. but that logic runs counter to how those switches work, which lends itself to connecting wires from different pickups to tabs in the same switch pole, not just wires from the same pickup.

so short answer, it may very well be impossible. but only inner coils and outer coils is not super-complicated, so draw it up and find out.

your suspicions of whether it's even possible are well-founded. the problem is that many of the different coil-cut combinations in a scheme like this use different wires going to the hot output of the switch in different selector positions. dual volume controls are usually wired by having the pickup hot wire go to the volume pot first, then to the switch. but if you've got two or even three different wires from the same pickup that are hot in different switch positions, you can't send them all to the same volume pot, and you can have three volume pots. :D

You could solve this by getting a double (or triple) gang volume pot. Double gang means two isolated pots mounted above each other controlled by one single shaft like this. Haven't seen many for guitars, but any potentiometer with the right value should work fine, whether it is intended for guitars or not. Then you could send different pickups to "different" pots, but still only have one knob on the face of the guitar. Most electronics shops will have them in lots of different values.

Hope that makes things easier

Heggis

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a schematic for the following wiring that I'd like to do:

2 humbucker

2 volume

1 tone

Something like this?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...1vol_1tone_5way

this site has a lot of schematics and has helped me a bunch.....look around a little

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/